cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data - very slow

Korzeniewska
Joining in

My mobile data is very slow doesn't matter where I am and what phone I use. This happens since I started using the sim card first time. Settings in phone are fine and my partner got the same problem with his virgin sim card. How can i solved this? I can barely watch YouTube. 

33 REPLIES 33

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@hz wrote:

Hiya,

Just a generic "Our network can get very busy in this area" message which doesn't help anything or anyone. 

The joys of O2. The network is over subscribed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

parxuk
On our wavelength

Nothing wrong according to the map.

I live in the BS30 area of Bristol. It's urban and half way between Bristol & Bath. Should be lots of coverage.

Last night I had H+ and 1.5MB download speed.

Virgin, are you not embarassed in any way about this?? This isnt a service, it's a disgrace! I want some money back.

What are you doing to make this better?? I was getting faster speeds 5 years ago....

cje85
Trouble shooter

@enlli wrote:

@hz wrote:

Hiya,

Just a generic "Our network can get very busy in this area" message which doesn't help anything or anyone. 

The joys of O2. The network is over subscribed.

Yes, O2 has the least amount of spectrum but by far the most customers when you add O2 and the virtual providers who share their network eg. GiffGaff, Tesco and Sky.

Now they're adding 3million Virgin Mobile customers to a network that is already over-subscribed in many areas, things will just get worse.

stuhar
Tuning in

Since virgin has moved to O2 service has been shocking and  I feel  cheated , I recently went on holiday  to Cornwall  the mast was literally  700m away  I had full signal 4g+  my data speed  was 0.254 mbs download I couldn't even  open  webpages as they were timed out the service  is shocking  virgin. How  can you expect  customers to  pay for  this service. 

When  it was Vodafone  network  I didn't get any  issues at all. Now  slow Internet  and constantly  dropping out on calls. 

I will be cancelling  my new 12 month contract  .

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am sorry to hear of this experience, stuhar. 

I can appreciate that the service change may not always benefit everyone - I assure you that being on the O2 network provides great options for what we can do as a business - which then is provided to customers. With the issue you're having in terms of your signal, is this in all areas or just local?

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

The whole  network  is rubbish at home I get 1 bar , I have to  use  Wi-Fi  calling as the signal is rubbish instead of  migrating customers to an already  over subscribed  service  other  providers  should have  been  kicked off  or contract not renewed  to use the network  so the virgin media  customers  could get a  better service  rather than the current  situation  that we are getting now,  the Vodafone  contract . At the end of 2019 Virgin Media signed a 5-year deal with Vodafone to run their MVNO platform, so why are we pushed to a rubbish  network  that  isn't  ready for  an extra 3million customers.

Bad corporate  decisions  to line their own pockets  while  the customer  suffer 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I apologise you feel that way - as mentioned above, change doesn't always benefit every single person on the network - regardless of what platform/network that is on. The question you have put above is not something that I hold the answer to and if I am being 100% honest it's not something that would change what has already taken place. 

Virgin Media O2 are moving forward, together. Which only benefits all of our customers - with the abilities to create a space and platform that we have better control over, giving better deals, better features and everything else that comes with that. 

If you're having an issue with the service - it's something that can be looked into, just the same as before. The network migration hasn't stopped diagnostics taking place - if anything it has only improved. With the issue you have mentioned, to double check - is it in all areas or your home location? I will be more than happy to private message you to help out with this, and if your decision to leave stands - we can look at helping with that also. I'm not here to make things difficult but just to help, I absolutely appreciate that if you're not getting service how frustrating that can be. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

JimmyJimJim
Joining in

Hi just trying to find out why my data Download rate is so poor on my dongle. 

I have been sent a Huawei Mobile wifi dongle and what appears to be a Virgin media SIM card and it says it can reach speeds of up to 150mbps. I have used your service checker and it states I'm in a "Super fast 4G area".

The device has a green bar next to signal and I am right next to the window. I've also gone outside and tried to connect to see if its my house effecting the signal. The Download speed is pretty much Dial up speeds. I'm amazed when it goes up from Kbps to an actual Mb or so. The best I've had is about 4mbps?

Whats going on with the Virgin Mobile Data?

I have  been Told By virgin  mobile  support team  that Vodafone  are Throttling  Virgin media customers  because  virgin  has cancelled  their  MVNO contract  early, I have  been  told they are sending  me a new Sim card to change to O2 ,so thats  going to be fun. As O2 is worse than Vodafone. Luckily  I am on a 1 month rolling  contract  so will look at moving if  service  doesn't  improve  .

parxuk
On our wavelength

stuhar. I did all this over a month ago via tech support and was told a new SIM would solve my slow speed issue. Sorry to have to tell you it made no difference whatsoever. I shall be moving mine and the 3 other contacts we have in our house to a new provider this month.