cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data connection/configuration problem

tonyB747
Tuning in

Hi,

I've a mobile SIM packaged from Virgin Media (broadband), used by my daughter. My (known) symptoms are:

1. No internet connection on 4G/3G with good signal in London (on WiFi its fine)
  2. Can't SMS the settings number i.e. "text ALL to 789922" (get error 28 back)
  3. Done the troubleshooting steps at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/virgin-mobile-issues
  4. Number doesn't appear in my Virgin Mobile account (but there's a record of it in my Media account)

Are there additional steps I can take here / any advice available, please? I'm reading that I might need a replacement SIM?

Thanks, T

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Problem is resolved.

For those who need closure: turns out the SIM wasn't activated due to some kind of hiccup. A previous SIM on the same number was stolen, and this was the replacement - which either wasn't activated by me/my daughter (no idea if this is the case - but if so...Doh!), or there was a hiccup somewhere.

VM (re)activated it - all good now.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @tonyB747,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that your daughter is having some service issues with her SIM card!

Have you been able to put the SIM card into another phone to see if the same issue continues?

Can you tell us if this SIM is a part of Virgin Mobile, or if you were sent this SIM directly from O2 as part of a Volt package?

Please let us know so that we can assist further. 🙂

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to check, is this a Virgin Branded SIM or an O2 SIM on a Volt Package?.

What does it say on the top of her phone, Virgin or O2?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the response, @Paulina_Z

@Paulina_Z wrote:

Have you been able to put the SIM card into another phone to see if the same issue continues?

I confess I've not tried that one - I can do so however will need to wait until she returns from School this afternoon.

@Paulina_Z wrote:

Can you tell us if this SIM is a part of Virgin Mobile, or if you were sent this SIM directly from O2 as part of a Volt package?

I believe its part of Virgin Mobile. I'm looking at my Virgin Media package, and it says "Volt benefits" are not active. Again, I'd have to check when she's back from school, but I recall the SIM itself being Virgin branded.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do in the meantime, oherwise I'll post an update when she's back from school.

Thanks, T

Thanks for the response, @enlii

Per my response to P, its not part of a Volt thing and I'm fairly certain its a Virgin SIM (but will have to confirm properly when she's back from school).

Cheers, T

tonyB747
Tuning in

Morning,

I've confirmed that it is indeed a Virgin branded SIM, hope that helps.

EDIT: Just installed the SIM from my daughter's Pixel 4a into my Pixel 6 and had the same problem... no internet connection on mobile (4G).

T

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you drop to 3G does data work?

Also check here https://status.o2.co.uk/

What does it say?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the additional checks, @enlli !

No joy on 3G either. The O2 status page indicates it can get busy in my area, i.e. a data slowdown - but basic connectivity should be fine (and ofc isn't).

Cheers, T

Thank you for getting back to us! Apologies that this is happening. 

I will send you a PM to confirm a few account details and offer further support. 
You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with an update when possible. 

Thank you for your patience in the meantime! 

All the best. 🌞

Molly

@Molly_T wrote:

Thank you for getting back to us! Apologies that this is happening. 

I will send you a PM to confirm a few account details and offer further support. 
You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with an update when possible. 

Thank you for your patience in the meantime! 

All the best. 🌞

Thanks Molly, appreciate it!

T