Menu
David-Leese
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mobile: Signal but no network (new phone on way)

I have had my Samsung A50 for ~3 years, pay monthly with 12GB data plus unlimited calls and texts, and it's come up for renewal, so I'm having a new phone which is being delivered next Saturday, 3 July.  My new contract has started today, and I had a system update overnight as well.

This morning:  no network availability from the Virgin network.  I get between 1-3 bars (which is normal) but no data access, and no service.  No calls, texts, or data.

My phone has switched to roaming, and I have full service on the Vodafone network.  Ironically, while on the Vodafone network, I received a text telling me about my new contract (8GB data, plus unlimited texts and calls) and another saying my allowances have been refreshed.

I suspect the problem is that my new contract is not compatible with my old SIM (it's the same SIM I had with the handset ~3 years ago).  I've spoke to helpdesk 0345 454 1111 and they said that the network is fine, and that they can't order me a new SIM because I'm having the new phone next week.

Can anybody help me, or can I get a SIM only deal from Vodafone for my current handset so that I don't have to pay roaming charges?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile: Signal but no network (new phone on way)

You will not be paying roaming charges. Virgin are moving new contracts to Vodafone from EE. The fact your phone is shown as roaming is a strange one. Maybe turn it off, wait 30 seconds and switch on again.

As the phone is being replaced I would not worry too much.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
David-Leese
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update:  when I try to manually select Virgin from a list of Network operators, I get the error message, "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network."

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And if you select Vodafone?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
David-Leese
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If I select Vodafone, I get full service: calls, SMS and data, both at home and when I'm out and about.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi David-Leese, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this perplexing issue looked into with your handset, I wouldn't worry too much about this though as it seems you're going to be gaining a new handset soon anyway!

Have you tried turning off roaming? To do this go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Swipe Data Roaming to OFF.

We have begun a network migration so we are now using the network you've stated in your last post. 

How is your handset with calls, texts and normal data?

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos