cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile SIMswap

SleepyJohn
Tuning in

Having received multiple SMS messages telling me to swap to the new SIMs that have been posted to my registered address,  I've explained to 789 several times that I can't swap because I'm not at home to receive the packages.   This is because I'm overseas, locked out of UK by Covid quarantine regs until they are lifted.   

789 say they've made notes on my file to stop the SMSs and multiple reposting of more SIMs to my UK address.  They also told me not to worry because the SMS messages were auto-generated and I wouldn't get cut off because I'd been in touch and there were now notes on file about my situation.

I made my latest call to 789 about this on  22nd Sept because I'd received yet another SMS saying I'd be cut off tomorrow (23rd Sept) if I didn't swap.   

Despite all that, now (today 24th Sept) it appears I have been cut off after all.  Made 3 attempts to get my UK bank to text a verifying code to me and all 3 have failed, so I can no longer access internet banking without receiving  bank SMSs to my Virgin Mobile number. 

21 REPLIES 21

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SleepyJohn wrote:

Yes Enli,  it is PAYG,  and yes, I did think about the risk of it expiring if the account wasn't used, so I sent myself a 50p text on 24th Sept to keep it warm.

Appreciate the thought,  but no,  I don't think it was that

That's OK as none use would have  the same appearance.

The technical reason the old cards can't be activated is that they were basically rebadged EE.  The EE network handled almost everything in the background. Now Virgin are moving away from EE the first phase was to take all the background stuff in house, just leaving EE supplying signal, hence the need for new cards. Simply put, once one of the old cards is removed from the EE network then it won't be allowed back. This is not just a Virgin thing but EE are involved as well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HI John, we have been migrating the service for well over a year and we are now nearly at the stage of completion and advising customers to activate their new sims before service is lost. We would not be able to leave this activated as when the migration is complete none of the old sims will work. Chris 

Re 07962422486 and Nokia 100

It's now over 3 months since Virgin Mobile disconnected me, and I have been without service all this time.

I am currently in Thailand where I have remained locked out of UK due to Covid since last summer.  Due to the worsening Covid situation globally I have no idea when I will be able to return to UK 

Kindly advise what are Virgin Mobile going to do to restore my service?  

It is no good sending more SIMS to my UK address at the moment because there is no one there to receive them.  In December I did arrange for someone to visit,   pick up one of the SIMS you'd mailed there previously, and try to activate it in their own phone,  but that all failed because your SIM had expired.

I'm a 79yr old pensioner with some chemo-induced cognitive defects and I don't have any other contacts in UK to ask for help on this extraordinarily difficult SIMswap

Regards,    +  John

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm trying to see what Virgin can do, if they can't send to the UK and they can't send to Thailand. They also can't reactivate the old SIM. The only gesture they could possibly make is return your balance.

What would you suggest given the above scenarios?

I'm sure the team will only confirm what I say. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for trying to help, Enli,  but this doesn't really get us much further forward than we were 3 months ago.

You wrote:

......they can't send to Thailand....

Nobody's explained to me why not.  It would only need to be done  as a rare special case to correct the consequences of poorly thought out SIMswap policy that doesn't allow for any customers being overseas for lengthy periods.  

Admittedly there are hazards sending stuff via Thailand's incoming international postal system where packages do occasionally get opened and their contents lost or stolen, but VM's policy of requiring their affected customers to pay postage and undertake these hazards themselves when for no fault of their own the SIMswap policy turned out to be flawed,   doesn't sound like a fair deal to me.

.....The only gesture they could possibly make is return your balance.

That wouldn't address the question of how I could get my service on 07962422486 restored by another UK mobile provider while I'm still stuck in Thailand.  Of course if I was at home,  I could get my service restored by VM without all the hassle of changing providers,  but I'm not at home, so I don't see how returning my balance would help.

.....What would you suggest given the above scenarios?

I don't know what to suggest.   As I've previously mentioned my cognitive abilities have been diminished by chemotherapy, so I don't doubt there will be better brain-power within VM to come up with equitable solutions than I can muster myself.

Going back for a moment to the possibility that VM could perhaps have a change of heart and be prepared to mail a new pre-activated SIM to me in Thailand, there are a couple of issues that I'm thinking would need to be addressed.    (1) Although pre-activated to allow it to immediately work roaming on a Thai network once I've safely received it,  some means of temporarily disabling it  to prevent it being used by anyone who nicks the package in transit would need to be devised.   Re-enabling it upon safe receipt could be done using a pre-arranged code sent by email    (2) My existing mobile is a old Nokia model 100, and people have expressed doubts whether a new SIM would be compatible.   VM offer to send a free compatible alternative mobile if customer's old phones prove to be incompatible with their new SIM.   Before venturing down the road of possibly dispatching a new pre-activated SIM to my overseas address,  we should first double-check if Nokia 100 is on your proven compatibility list. 

In summary,   I do feel it's VM's responsibility to come up with a viable plan to restore my existing service while I'm still stuck overseas, and I look forward  to further suggestions how this can be achieved

Thanks & regards,      +   John

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that the end has already happened as if a PAYG SIM isn't used for a period of 90 days or longer then the number / credit is lost as written in the T&C, and as VM no longer have a PAYG option then they cannot replace the SIM.

Regarding sending SIM abroad I am afraid that cannot happen even if it could the SIM has too be activated on the home UK network, there is no way of putting a temporary block on a SIM it is either activated or not.

Regards Mike

VM disconnected me on 23Sep2020, and despite my subsequent postings and complaints, have been unable to offer any solution to restore service for me.  I've been stranded overseas due to Covid-cancelled return flights and UK quarantine regulations since May 2020, which has meant I haven't been able to deal with any of the ridiculously repetitive replacement SIMs VM posted to my UK address since then.  I'm a nearly 80yr old Brit pensioner with extra cognitive and memory deficits from toxic long-term chemotherapy side effects.  I don't know when flights are going to be restored or when Covid quarantine restrictions are going to be lifted, so I still can't make definite plans or dates for my return to UK,  but best guess just now is that it could be around Spring 2022.   Meanwhile, I do know I'm in need of a UK-based mobile service for occasional use here (I'm in Thailand) that I'll also be able to use once I'm back in UK whenever that is.   Since it was VM who disconnected me because of their last year's flawed simswap programme,  I see it as their responsibility to get me back in service somehow.   I look forward to constructive detailed suggestions on how this can actually be achieved

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm afraid it gets worse as ALL PAYG is being closed down between October and January 2022. Even if they managed to send a SIM it would be turned off before your return date

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-pay-as-you-closing

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi SleepyJohn, I am sorry for what's happened with your SIM I can understand the problems this will be causing for you.

Unfortunately the only solutions we're able to provide have already been suggested above and deemed unsuitable for yourself - if the number is still active we can arrange for a replacement to be sent to a UK address, it's not possible for us to send a SIM outside of the UK but if you have a friend or family member who is able to activate the SIM and send it on to you in Thailand we'll be happy to arrange a replacement to be sent to them so that can be done.

However the above can only be done if the number is still active, and as stated above the solution would only be temporary as Pay As You Go will not be a service that's available after January'22 we have to set your expectations correctly around that. If that's something you'd like us to look into arranging please let me know, otherwise to be honest it may be a better option for you to find another Pay As You Go provider who can continue to offer the services you need going forwards.

Tom

I'd just like to express my thanks to those of you who've patiently been responding to my questions and complaints about the way VM's SIMswap's been handled. Although your replies have mostly been negative ones relaying bad news to me about what the system can't do, I recognise that you've read and mostly understood my difficulties and you've taken the trouble to explain VM's inherent shortcomings, so thanks for that.

The problem I see with trying to arrange for someone in UK to receive another SIM on my behalf and post it on, is that it seems they'd have to open the package and activate it before forwarding it on to me in Thailand, and that presents a particular security hazard transiting the international postal sorting office and customs checking in Bangkok. Bangkok are known to be prone to opening small packages and nicking any contents for black market sale if they're of value. I've had three replacement bank debit cards nicked this way in the last two years, so I see it as a real threat. Unless perhaps there's some way you could instruct a UK forwarder of a newly-activated sim how to temporarily disable it such that it's phone number and any credit on it would be inaccessible to anyone nicking it in transit? In that case there'd have to be an unlocking code sent to me independently by email for me to be able to unlock it upon safe arrival. Would that be possible?

The problem I see with getting a refund, getting a PAC code from VM on my old number, and closing my VM account down, is how would I persuade another provider to post a new UK simcard to me in Thailand, and how could that card be activated once safely arrived? For what it's worth I'm currently guessing I'll eventually arrive back in UK mid-Spring 2022, so the times I'll be in most need of that replacement simcard will be as I land at Manchester airport , and just afterwards.

The problem I see with trying to remain with VM is that because of my overseas travelling and intermittent usage, it's a PAYG account or something similar that I'm going to need, and VM are about to cease their existing PAYG service,

I'm afraid all these issues are beyond what I as a now almost 80yr old senile with additional chemotherapy-induced cognitive and memory defects, and chronic general slowdown can cope with these days. I believe VM are still responsible for sorting out the mess their poorly planned SIMswap programme caused those customers like myself who were Covid-stranded long-term overseas at the time they were being asked to swap their sims.

So please try to escalate this whole issue of getting me back in service to someone who can take on the responsibility of VM implementing it by whatever means it takes. Once we have a feasible implementation plan, I'll be pleased to cooperate and provide information where I can but won't be able to take on the whole responsibility on my own.

By the way, I've raised an official complaint with VM using my old mobile number removed and have received complaint reference C-0309211505 while the Resolutions Team are looking at it.

+ John

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]