Menu
mentalhibby
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Missing Google

When I did my initial search for an upgrade I was made aware that Huawei had lost access to Google services. However I went ahead and ordered the P40 pro given I had the P20 previously.

At first I didn't care too much that I couldn't receive certain apps. However using Huawei's AppGallery and Petal Search,  I quickly realised they were very  limited.

I also noticed if I downloaded any Google services or other well known apps via either they weren't complete. For example when I downloaded the "compare the market" app it was unusable given it required access to Google location services.

Huewei apps invite you to record your searched for apps if not available. Why? I have no idea as they never add them to their list.

We can't even download the NHS Covid app as it requires Google location services. 

So what started as an inconvenience is, for me, turning into an extreme annoyance.

I have also noticed that after recent downloads that Google chrome is freezing and I have to close the page and reopen it. Unsurprisingly Huawei's browsing app is unaffected. Also Chrome's newsfeed is now limited to about 8 titles. No scrolling down or refresh for further stories. Yep, Huawei's is unaffected.

It would seem obvious a download is interfering with my preference to using chrome and in turn is trying to ensure I use Huawei's own service.

So I'm very disappointed and facing a further two and a half years in a phone contract I really wish I could get out of. 

Can Virgin do anything to help? I doubt it but even if they can I imagine its going to be pretty expensive to change my phone? 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing Google

Hello

The only thing that Virginmedia would be able to would be if you were within the first 14 days of your contract, they cannot change the way the phone works as it is no longer shipped with Android hence why you are have all of the issues. Really the next point of contact would be Huawei.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing Google

Not tried it and not endorsing it but you can install Googlefier the phone and it will allow you to install the apps 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks