Menu
Leonardshaircut
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Missed calls from numbers very similar to my own

Today I have starting getting missed calls from numbers very similar to my own. Number is the same except for the last three digits which has been different on each of the four  calls I have so far received. I haven’t answered them and don’t intend to but it’s a nuisance.

Is this anything to worry about and is there anything I can do about it? Has anyone else had the same thing happen?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missed calls from numbers very similar to my own

For sometime now it has been a tactic of scammers to clone the numbers of other customers & businesses in order to look legitimate. You are also more likely to pick up a call with a similar number or a number with the same area code as your own. Its unlikely the calls originate from the UK. Most of them come from India, where they are using number spoofing software to generate these numbers.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Leonardshaircut
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What’s the best thing to do about it then? I’ve had 5 calls in the past 2 and a half hours and it’s worrying tbh.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ignore them, there's nothing you or phone networks can do about these at the moment.

I have a general rule, if I don't recognise a number calling I ignore it. They can leave a voicemail if they are legit.

Leonardshaircut
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So today I’ve started getting calls from mobiles with Philippines code today as well as the number similar to mine! I’ve got my phone on do not disturb for unknown  numbers but accidentally pressed call back instead of blocking, although I immediately cancelled this so it didn’t connect, so I’m hoping this doesn’t cause problems for me. Still worried.

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Leonardshaircut,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing these calls. We can understand the concern caused by this. Please try the following link and let me know if you found it useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Leonardshaircut wrote:

What’s the best thing to do about it then? I’ve had 5 calls in the past 2 and a half hours and it’s worrying tbh.

Spam callers affect users of all networks, fixed & mobile. You can block individual numbers, but the CLI often changes.

Ignoring unknown numbers if you're in a position to do so, is one tactic. Other than that, there's not much you can do. I see you've been given similar advice on the EE community forum too - a very long-running thread over there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
hz
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had been facing this exact issue and would like to share a tip.

We can safely assume the spoofed calls are going to change the last three numbers (or whatever pattern you are noticing).

Some call block list features allow use of wildcards. You can block numbers by prefix. E.g. if your mobile number is 07700 900400 (this is a fake one).

You would add 07700 900* to your block list. This ensures any incoming numbers that have the same eight characters as yours, they will be blocked.

I use a Xiaomi device.

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @hz,

Welcome to our Community Forums!

Thank you for taking the time out to share your tips 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos