cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost phone insurance requires proof of usage

1Harmeet
Joining in

I lost my iphone which I purchased from apple but was using my virgin sim only contract in. I immediately contacted virgin that evening to block the service and contacted my private insurance company to get a replacement. The insurance company requires a proof of usage which states the imei on the device being used with the sim and proof of imei barring. However Virgin keeps saying they are unable to supply as they do not keep records of which imei was being used with the sim as the phone was bought externally. As a result, I need a PDF proof of refusal letter of not providing proof of barring of the iphone and proof of usage showing my imei ASAP. Sadly customer services have been terrible. 

5 REPLIES 5

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi 1Hameet, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear you've lost your phone. Okay, so it is something we can help with - but I do need to outline a few things just to clear up. When a phone is not from us directly, we have 0 access/information about your device, unless you tell us. So, you're able to register a 3rd party device to our systems when you have the phone etc. We wouldn't be able to provide proof of usage stating your IMEI number, because the service we provide is for the SIM/network, which doesn't link in with your IMEI number (as the IMEI number is just the identifier of the handset). In essence the team over the phone was correct advising no records are kept that have usage and IMEI number along side. 

I can provide some help in getting an email over to you stating when you contacted us to block the service and that we're unable to provide usage which shows the IMEI number. 

Let me know if that works for you. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can see you've sent a private message to my colleague - is it possible you can let me know if you've seen my post above please? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

I have just seen the post now but please help me further

1Harmeet
Joining in

Hi Ryan to confirm I therefore need a letter of refusal in PDF to verify you cannot provide a proof of usage with my imei showing as I bought the handset externally and also you are unable to bar the imei as I was told it was bought externally.

Thank you

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That was the plan 🙂 

I will send you over a private message. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.