Menu
allygator
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Looking for tips on how to cancel my virgin mobile contract

Is there anyone out there, who has been through the experience of cancelling their mobile phone contract, who can advise on the best way to deal with customer services? 

After 2 hours trying to get connected to the cancellations team, I was passed from agent to agent until I finally spoke to 'Tom' of the retention team, who, quite forcefully, tried to dissuade me from cancelling. When I was unable to accede to his remonstrations, he asked me for the 2nd, 5th and 9th letter of my password, which I'd already given to 3 other agents, and when I gave him the required letters, he said that the replies didn't match the password and cut me off saying, I would have to try calling again!

I know the agents have been told not to allow any cancellations, but I would be grateful for any advice on bypassing the obstacle course. 

0 Kudos
Bhudia
Joining in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Looking for tips on how to cancel my virgin mobile contract

Tell them you’re recording the call for legal purposes. I had the runaround with Sky who kept telling me I was in a contract when I wasn’t. The minute I told them I was recording the call for legal purposes they changed their tune.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HI allygator, thanks for the message. We can confirm that agents have not been told to not allow any cancellations and customers are free to cancel. In regards to booking the cancellation we would require to pass data protection to book this. You can also get a pac code to give to your new provider ^Chris

0 Kudos
ps2mint
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you want to transfer your number to another provider, text PAC to 65075.

To cancel completely, and terminate without moving your number, text STAC to 75075.

To find out if you are in contract and early terminations apply, or if you are out of contract text INFO to 85075.

There’s no need to phone Virgin up, or any other provider for that matter if you wish to switch.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
allygator
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. Next time I call virgin customer services, I will definitely be recording the call. 

0 Kudos
allygator
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sure virgin wouldn't instruct their agents to block cancellations, but the agent told me he was in the retentions team and it was his job to dissuade customers from cancelling.

My problem is this: I received a sim from Virgin Media for my Nokia phone. When I insert the sim into my phone, two messages are displayed: 'Can't use this sim with...' and 'SIM1 is not valid'. When I called customer services on 150, I was told the 'sim works on any phone' and to go to my existing provider. My provider tried the sim and told me it was incompatible with my phone. My only other option seems to be to buy a new phone.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Which handset do you currently have allygator?

Regarding your call into the The agent from the retentions team  job is to try and keep you with us as a customer  but should still put your cancellation request through, if you're not interested, only once you've passed account security

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
allygator
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks ps2mint, your answer is helpful as I didn't know about PAC, STAC and INFO. Although I've been given a virgin mobile contract and a sim for my phone, I've never actually been able to connect to the network as the sim is incompatible. Because I can't use the sim, I can only cancel by phoning VM or writing to head office. 

0 Kudos
allygator
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Steven. My handset is a Nokia and is more than 10 years old. There is no serial number that I can see. 

On reflection, I was naïve to accept the assurances from the lady on the oomph team that the sim would be compatible with my phone. 

Regarding the agent from the retentions team, he probably lost patience with me because of my ignorance regarding mobiles.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for coming back to me allygator, the new sim cards arent always compatible with older phones.

We can arrange for a replacement handset to be sent out to you and it would be free of charge. Would you like to take this offer?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos