Menu
Eigna
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Locked out of mobile

Hi.

My elderly sister is on PAYG, She very rarely uses her mobile (it's for emergencies when she's out), but has kept it topped up. It now seems that the credit has gone (not sure if phone was activated and used all credit whilst in her bag) But now she can not ring out (incl 789) or receive calls.  She does not want to call the 0345 number because of costs. It seems the phone has been locked by VM.

Would her phones deactivation be caused by lack of use, lack of credit or???  And how can it be unlocked easily without phoning 0345 ...... please?

TIA.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Locked out of mobile

There are two possibilities

PAYG SIMs will deactivate if they're not used. This is in line with the PAYG T&Cs:
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/our-service#3

3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

Additionally Virgin Mobile are swapping all older SIM cards out to new ones. As part of this - and with notice - the old SIM cards are being deactivated as part of the change over to the new ones. If the SIM was switched off as part of this activity then Virgin Mobile will be able to get a new SIM out. However these SIMs don't always work in older phones.

Even if a new SIM is sent out, if the PAYG usage rules aren't followed then the SIM can still be deactivated.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

If the phone has not been used to send a chargeable text or make a chargeable phone call in 90 days then yes the number will be terminated, as per the terms and conditions, if that is the case then I am afraid  she has lost the number, and as VM no longer do PAYG she will not be able to get the number back.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Eigna
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I will pass this on to her.
0 Kudos
Eigna
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator