Menu
suec3
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Living in the USA

My phone is registered to my father who purchased it for me in 2006 (Siemens).  I am living in the USA but use the phone when I travel to the UK once or twice a year.  However, I will not be able to travel until next April.  I obviously will not be able to activate the SIM card that is being sent to him in the UK since the phone is with me here.  Could I have an activated SIM card sent instead which he can then forward to me?

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Living in the USA

Good Morning suec3,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

We would need the SIM card to be activated by being placed in a handset that can connect to a UK mast.

If we ordered a SIM card for you, the work around would be for it to be ordered to the UK address (where the phone is registered), inserted into an unlocked handset - to allow the SIM card to connect to a local mast, and then have it sent out to you in the US via a friend or family member.

Connecting to the local mast in the UK would complete the activation process.

I would also advise that you may require an unlock code for the handset, as the new SIM cards are no longer EE Hosted and are now controlled by Virgin Media. If you contact the seller of the handset, they will be able to provide you with the required code.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
suec3
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response.  My father is mailing out the SIM card to a friend who will activate it when he returns from holiday on September 3rd.  He will then post it out to me in the US.  I was trying to circumvent this two step postage process by asking for Virgin to send an activated SIM card as I noticed that Berryc was able to have that accomplished by Emma C from your Forum team in a feed I read on 5-7-2020. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM can't send out activated sim cards. its for security reasons and they need to connect to the network in the UK first time
0 Kudos
suec3
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response, David.  I finally received the new SIM card on 15 September (long delay with mail reaching the US from the UK) which my friend activated for me.  However, when I put it in my phone I received the following message:  disabled! NETWORK LOCKED.  Can someone please unlock it for me?  

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I will send you over a private message so we can get this sorted 🙂 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos