Menu
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Little or No Mobile Signal at New Property

Since moving into this new property 3 months ago, I have little or mostly no signal at all. When I first checked the network coverage page 3 months ago, it said the signal was known to be poor in my area. But now it says both 4G and 5G should be excellent both in and outdoors. That is obviously incorrect information.

I often struggle to achieve a connection when dialling/making calls and if someone is calling me, it goes straight to voicemail. When I tried to call Virgin Mobile Customer Services to explain this problem last week, it cut off as soon as I spoke the first sentence. The agent then called me back.

His solution was to simply send me out a new sim. Yes, really. But guess what, the signal is still poor. I tried to get through to an agent via chat but he cut me off saying "they're closing in 15 minutes..." despite it saying they're open till 10pm and it it was only 7:45pm. 

So two questions really:

Can this poor signal issue be resolved as I'm currently paying £38 a month for a phone that doesn't work.

And will Virgin's customer service procedures improve now that they've merged with O2?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Little or No Mobile Signal at New Property

@sam_soong wrote:

Since moving into this new property 3 months ago, I have little or mostly no signal at all. When I first checked the network coverage page 3 months ago, it said the signal was known to be poor in my area. But now it says both 4G and 5G should be excellent both in and outdoors. That is obviously incorrect information.

Not necessarily. @enlli is more familiar with the CS side of Virgin Mobile, but...

Remember that Virgin Mobile are in the process of migrating from being hosted by EE to being hosted by Vodafone, and I wouldn't bet against the coverage checker having changed its database in your intervening time to reflect this.

Whether your particular phone has changed host networks, is not necessarily the same thing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin's coverage checker now displays Vodafone, if may be that your phone is still using EE. If you do a manual network search and can see Vodafone listed you have not been moved as yet.

As far as customer services go, changes in that department are a long way off. Virgin and O2, on the Mobile side are set to run separately for quite some time yet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I can see Virgin, O2 and EE. No Vodafone.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Then it looks like the change has taken place. If so you should have access to WiFi calling. 

I don't know your phone so can't advise you how to turn it on.

0 Kudos
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have WiFi calling available but it's besides the point. No bars on an almost 24/7 basis in and outdoors isn't right.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Obviously hard to say at a distance and without knowing your exact location but it sounds like your house may be a 'not spot' My sister in law was in the same position for four years before O2/Vodafone built a joint site last year. 

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi sam_soong, thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you've had some issues with signal since moving home. As we've established that you're connected to the Vodafone network - have you been able to check for known area issues via the Vodafone service status checker? https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

Tom

0 Kudos
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom,

Virgin Checker says 4G is good both indoors and outdoors and 5G is only good outdoors (light pink).

Vodafone says also 4G is good both indoors and outdoors but 5G has "limited coverage" (lightest pink).

The two maps show slightly different locations on the map for the same postcodes but I appear to be on the border between the two lightest pinks when it comes to 5G. Also when I tried a test today by switching to 4G, the signal is still only one bar. 

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for checking. If there are also no known faults mentioned then I'd like to take a further look into it, please get back to me via PM - just look out for the purple envelope - and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

0 Kudos