Menu
Fiwen9430
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

LG KP202 not working with new SIM

RG LGKP202.jpgI have an LGKP202 phone that is about 15 years old. A few days ago I received a new SIM card that Virgin said I would need to swap to in order for the network to keep working on my phone. I swapped the SIMs out and now the phone won't get past a screen saying insert correct SIM (see photo). I tried putting unlock codes in but they don't do anything. From searching the problems on the forum it seems clear that this is because my phone is too old to work with the new SIM cards. I am most unhappy because I didn't ask for this upgrade and don't know why Virgin would send out SIMs that are not compatible with existing hardware.

0 Kudos
jmoore123
Joining in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: LG KP202 not working with new SIM

I have exactly the same problem and error message with a 10 year old LG GM205.

Should the new SIM work with this phone?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

They will both need unlocking. Virgin have probably sent you a personal unlatching key on the letter or in faint numbers on the red card.

If you Google Unlock and your model make and number you usually get instructions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jmoore123
Joining in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

With my LG GM205, I've not had success following instructions I've found by Googling. This is what I've tried:

The 1st Google page says:
Switch on with original SIM in the phone.
Enter 2945#*71001# and a menu will pop up - but I don't get this menu.

The 2nd Google page says:
Switch on with allowed SIM in the phone.
Enter 2495#*71001# and navigate to:
menu -> Setting -> Security -> Simlock -> Network lock > Deactivate
I don't get this new submenu, but I do get this new similar looking submenu:
menu -> Settings -> Security -> SIM locks -> Service provider -> Deactivate
I entered the faint number on the red card, and got:
'Invalid security code'
From the little I've garnered from googling, I think this may mean it wants an SPCK code, and not a NCK code - which is what I think is printed on the red card. I don't have an SPCK code.

Could the problem be that the original SIM is now deactivated? There's a 'SIM card registration failure' message on the phone with the original SIM.
I think this is because Virgin Media activated the new SIM when I phoned them up last week, and also I've tried the new SIM in another 15 year old unlocked phone (different make&model) - and this did work.
0 Kudos
Fiwen9430
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I also have not had any success following the instructions from internet searching (and most of the results want me to pay them for a code, not helpful at all). They say that I should press 2945#*202# to bring up the unlocking menu but when I press that combination it takes me to what looks like half my text message inbox. This is the same with both the old and the new SIM inserted, as well as with no SIM. I have also tried 2945#*71001# but no luck there either.

0 Kudos
jmoore123
Joining in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Fiwen9430 - With my LG GM205 and the second code 2945#*71001# it takes me back to the main screen when I type the final #. (Note that the instructions say to switch the phone on immediately before entering this code.)

When I then go into the menus, I have a new submenu. The online instructions say it should be:

menu -> Setting -> Security -> Simlock -> Network lock > Deactivate

But I get this instead:

menu -> Settings -> Security -> SIM locks -> Service provider -> Deactivate

It then asks for a code - but the code on the red card doesn't work for me. Maybe you'll have more luck. Don't try the same code too many times - as I think you can permanently lock the phone.
0 Kudos
Fiwen9430
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

jmoore123 - Thanks for the advice, but absolutely no luck. I have gone into settings - security after pressing both lots of codes but there are no extra menus, all the instructions to unlock the phone online simply don't give me any option to unlock the phone. I have no idea what to do now as I simply cannot get the phone to unlock and I don't know how long I will have until the old SIM is deactivated.

0 Kudos
Fiwen9430
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

OK, so after trawling to about the 30th page of results on internet search I finally found the correct code to unlock the menu, which was 2945#*7101#. When I click "Deactivate" the phone asks me for an SPCK. The personal unblocking key on the SIM card does not work. How do I get an SPCK?

0 Kudos
jmoore123
Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

My guess is that the code on the red card (i.e. the red card that held the SIM card - not the number on the SIM card itself) is an NCK (Network Unlock Code) code.

I'd decided that it's an SPCK (Service Provider Code Key) code that I need too for my LG GM205. I phoned VM again today, and had to wait 40 minutes for someone who didn't seem to know much about it. He said the technical team were busy, but he'd contact them and would phone me back, but that hasn't happened yet.

Does anyone here know if Virgin Media can get SPCK codes?
0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi jmoore123,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having. 

I have read over the information you have provided. Can you confirm if you have activated the new sim card you have been sent?

^Martin

0 Kudos