cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues receiving OTP text messages

ModTeam

Hi All, 

We are aware that some customers may be experiencing issues receiving OTP text messages.

Our support team are investigating this issue and we will update this thread with any progress. 

Thanks

Mod Team

486 REPLIES 486

Hi Stubram

It's disappointing to hear that you have decided to return the phone and look for another provider. We can't guarantee OTP messages due to us being a Virtual Mobile Network Operator - we don't own the masts we use for our mobile service. 

We wish you all the best with your new provider. Many thanks for getting in touch with us on the community forums.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I think that's quite possibly the first I've read of anyone suggesting they know what the actual root case is: "We can't guarantee OTP messages due to us being a Virtual Mobile Network Operator - we don't own the masts we use for our mobile service".

However, is the fact that your host networkds are O2 and Vodafone really an contributing factor? 
What has owning the masts got to do with the ability to sent/recieve some but not all OTP messages?

That feels like someone saying - "oh we can't guarantee that you can recieve every email you're sent because we're a virtual Internet Service Provider and BT own all the phone lines." The phone lines are metal , just like yours masts. They conduct data. Your control systems determine what can and can't flow through them. Can you clarify exactly what's being suggested as the root cause. 

Lastly, why has it been possible to correct this issue for some people but not others. 

Are you saying no VMNO operating on O2 / Vodafone can do this? Or it's just limited to Virgin Mobile? 

Hey Stevieblueyez, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to see you are having some phone issues. 

Are you currently getting any sort of OPT SMS's?

Please do let me know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Morning Matt, 

Feel free to read through the past few pages where I've described exactly what's happenned and whats' been eliminated. 

In short: 
Yes - I'm recieving other OTP messages. (Ebay/Nationwide working fine. KIRRK who I deperately need to recieve one from is blocked)
No - this isn't an issue with my SIM - this is a Service Provider issues. Don't waste time trying to replace
Yes - this service works on other providers

No - this isn't an issue with my phone. Same phone with different sim, same sims different phone all be tried. This is a VM issue. 

Unless you have a proven solution to this problem skip the urge to PM me and ask me for charachters from my pass code. A complaints has already been raised as it was the only thing I've seen drive this issue to a resolution to anyone else. If you want to help push my complain through faster and get a provien solution to this. 

Morning Stevieblueyez, thank you for letting me know this.

We wouldn't block anything like this, but you have said you have tried it on another device / provided and it works fine? 

I can also see you are are speaking with my colleague via PM and they are actively looking into this for you.

They will reach out when they can do. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I doubt VM would intentionally block these ... but Occams Razor would suggest otherwise.

i.e. the simplest explanation that will account for a circumstance or event is most likely the correct explanation

Something, somwhere, in VM is blocking these. Feel free to scroll back and tell me you think differently. It's not going to be the vast carying permutations of people/sims/phones/location etc etc. 

Someone needs to get upstream of the problems

Hey Stevieblueyez, thank you for reaching back out.

As mentioned my colleagues will be in touch once they have more information. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

'As mentioned my colleagues will be in touch once they have more information. Thanks '

Just don't hold your breath on this, take  a GOOD look at this thread, it's been running over TWO YEARS, and STILL hasn't been FIXED.

Repeated 'we are looking into this, and will update you as soon as we have any further news' are just basically 'cut and paste' because they are not making any attempt to either find out the cause, or to fix it.  

Check how many pages this thread runs to (43 pages, 427 replies, and 14,813 views!!) , and how many frustrated 'customers' have abandoned VM because they are unable to provide the basic service of sending/receiving OTP/2FA's from certain banks/building societies etc. 

There is no fix, because VM are not looking for one.... After TWO years, any 'HALF competent' company would have sorted it out, yet VM are 'still looking into it' !!

Says it all really...

'Are you saying no VMNO operating on O2 / Vodafone can do this?'

My niece is on 'Tesco mobile' (they are VMNO on O2), and she can receive all her OTP/2FA's, so the reply to the above is 'NO' and the original reply regarding this being the cause is total BS, and well VM know it!!

Just another piece of BS, along with many of the other  'reasons' trotted out by the staff, in an attempt to 'fob' people off.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Hughjarsse, thanks for the posts and updates on this.

We're sorry to hear of the issue being unresolved and the inconvenience caused by this, would you be able to update us on what's been advised previously by our team on this since you've been speaking to our staff via PMs about it earlier?

Let us know where we are and if there are any fixes we're working on for you, happy to advise further on this.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs