cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues receiving OTP text messages

ModTeam

Hi All, 

We are aware that some customers may be experiencing issues receiving OTP text messages.

Our support team are investigating this issue and we will update this thread with any progress. 

Thanks

Mod Team

486 REPLIES 486

So, 10 months after this was originally flagged by so called 'MODS' on here, we now have the following 'spiel; 

Thanks for the further info. I can see there hasn't been any recent updates given on this thread for a while, so I have requested some more information from the relevant team and will post back once I know more.

Many thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team
Considering the 'last update' said EXACTLY THE SAME THING almost WORD FOR WORD (cut and paste anyone??)  and the next post from 'MODS' will say exactly the same...I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything to happen...
Only 2 months more, and this problem will be celebrating it's first anniversary!! "🎉 🎊 🎈"  and to be sure, VM will still 'be looking into it' 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to request  new SIM card from VM as someone else posted that they'd done this and it worked!! Will repost the results!

Anonymous
Not applicable

SORTED!!!!

With absolutely no help from VM.

I ordered a new SIM card which arrived with instructions. You text READY to the number given and "they'll let you know when it's time to swap" which of course they don't, so when my Internet connection failed I assumed it was time to swap SIMs. You're then supposed to wait for a request for the PIN which is provided. Needless to say that didn't happen either so about an hour later I simply texted the PIN to the same number and waited ..... numerous hours (well, about 24). During this SIM exchange I received no texts at all (worrying!) but then they all came through so I logged on to my Santander bank account,  requested the OTP and .... it came through in seconds!!! 

So, thanks VM for being so useless but I sorted it myself!!

naxman
On our wavelength

One thing to note for iPhone users, the SIM replacements we received were manufactured in Belgium and if you tried to dial anyone using your contact list you may get a strange message say you are not authorised to call this number (in several languages) this is because dial assist is turned on and the SIM thinks it's in Belgium - tune off dial assist and all is well.

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

Anyone had any joy with their CICAS complaint yet, I have had a reply from them stating they are awaiting a reply from Virgin Media on mine, and they are now considering further action, because Vm have not responded within the stated timeframe.

Appears that VM are now even playing 'fast and loose' with CICAS as well.

Be interesting to know how others are faring with their complaints with CICAS.  Maybe CICAS is just another  'toothless' organisation that companies feel they can ignore?  😐

The other method that I found successful is using the Santander app, as well as the previous method I described.
It is still no excused for not receiving a text for the OTP from Virgin.

Pipes
On our wavelength

My case against VM has been adjudicated and has not succeeded.  Apparently I failed  to provide sufficient evidence of poor customer service, or that VM were responsible for not processing OTPs.

Of interest part of the VM 'Defence' stated the following: "The Company, therefore, submits that it is not an issue which the Company is able to rectify; the Company is well aware of of this issue and is being dealt with by the relevant teams."

The VM Defence included partial notes of some discussions made by their customer service team.  These were inaccurate and misleading.  I refuted them and highlighted some of the anomalies, including the obvious contradiction in the above company quote.  Obviously my version of events was not supported by transcripted notes taken at the time, and therefore appear to have carried no sway with the adjudicator.

As far as I'm concerned this is the end of the matter as VM have now admitted to CISAS that they are unable to rectify the problem.  Wouldn't it all have been much simpler if VM had simply admitted that from the word go rather than simply stringing us all along with false promises and ongoing proof of their technical ineptitude?

Good luck to anyone else if they attempt to follow the CISAS route, but you will really need to consider the level of proof the adjudicator requires.

dylman74
Tuning in

I am still unable to receive sms messages. Sometimes a delay of perhaps 2/3 days. Others just never received. Banks, 2fa otp codes, friends, family, any mobile provider....all the same.

What has been done about this in the juwt over 9 months since it was raised?

Can support respond and fix please?

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @dylman74

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Is it just receiving SMS messages you are having an issue with? Or do you have any issues sending them as well? 

What phone do you currently have? 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

naxman
On our wavelength

ASk for a new SIM