Menu
pubman72
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is my SIM 5G?

I was given a SIM card as part of my TV/broadband package at the end of last year which I have not activated yet as we were tied to other contracts. It says it is a 4G SIM but I was wondering if it would deliver 5G in an iPhone 12 Pro? Is there any way of checking?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is my SIM 5G?

All SIM cards will do 5G whatever it says on the packet.

However, at the moment the roll out to 5G is going at a pace dictated by Virgin as it entails moving people from EE to Vodafone and that has to be in batches 

If you use it, at some point it will switch in the future, but couldn't say when

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pubman72
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, so if the Virgin website says I should be receiving 5G then it will work?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not until your SIM switches over to the Vodafone network. It will have been sent out on EE as Vodafone only went live on the 25th Jan

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
bones1958
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think my question has been answered but just wanted to double check.

I have an Ooomph SIM only deal using my current Huawei phone that is nearly 4 years old. Thinking of purchasing a 5G phone direct from Samsung and using the same Ooomph SIM in the new phone.

Will I automatically get 5G (maybe after a settings update?) or do I need to upgrade my SIM?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No need to change.