cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a phone mast down or is my phone too old?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Virgin tried to phone shame me into buying a new phone, O2 told me there's no need and a local phone mast is down. Who do I believe?

Been without a working mobile for a week now, coinciding with Virgin's forced migration to O2.

Spent hours and hours on the landline to Virgin and O2, nearly fell for the rude Virgin woman's phone shaming until a helpful guy at O2 said there was no need and I 'just' need to wait a few more days for an update on their faulty phone mast.

What's going on?

6 REPLIES 6

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Tell us what phone you have.

• However, as Virgin have been running on the O2 network for several months I can't for the life of me think it is not compatible 
  •  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi rippedoff1,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that you've not received the help required when calling our team about your issues. We do apologise that you were advised to buy a new handset from ourselves to then find out there is a mast issues which will be causing the issue.

As our member @enlli  has advised there should be no reason why your handset is not compatible with your O2 sim card. 

What handset are you currently using?

Kind regards Jodi. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for taking the trouble to reply .. apologies for not replying sooner myself.

It's a LG Spirit 440n .. still not working: I appear to have fallen into a void between O2 and Virgin.

O2 told me I needed a Network Unlock Code from Virgin, but Virgin deny there is one on this pre-2018 phone.

The 'phone mast not working' was just a red herring from one of the many O2 people I've spoken to.

If I had any money I'd have bought a new phone by now, but I don't, so I'm learning to do without and thinking of breeding carrier pigeons. (This attempted humour masks my deep frustration and depression about all this)

It would be an enormous coincidence if the phone that's worked fine for 6 years just happened to stop working in the week that Virgin transferred me to O2, but that's what they appear to be telling me now.

I've also contacted LG but they couldn't help.

I'd be very grateful if you could suggest anything that I might have overlooked.

All the best,

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello rippedoff1, 

Thank you for your reply. 

We are very sorry to hear of your experience. 

In order to look in to this further, I will just need to take a few details via private message. 

This will be available via the red bar at the top of the page. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just found out today that Virgin have charged me apprx.£35 for making calls to O2/Virgin from my landline to try to sort this out - because they didn't tell me the free number and my mobile's not working so i couldn't use 202 for free.

That can't be right can it?!

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey, rippedoff1.
We're sorry to hear what's happened and that your issues with this are ongoing.

Could you please advise which number we advised and you called from your VM landline that caused these charges?
Have you reached out to Natalie_L privately (as you've been in touch via PM previously) about this so we can have a look into the bill and advise?

Regards,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs