Menu
peartrees
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Invalid SIM

I received my new SIM on 11 August 2020. Unfortunately when I inserted it into my Nokia 100, I got the message "invalid sim". I was not prompted to key in any unlock codes.

I have spent a long time looking on the Virgin Community forums for a solution to this problem. I note this is a problem being experienced by other users with older phones. I have tried unsuccessfully to unlock my phone using a suggestion of one of the VIPs.

I have also contacted 789 for assistance only to receive a link to Virgin Media website's help page which didn't help, texted a helpline and had an unsatisfactory virtual chat reading and responding to texts on my Nokia 100 only for the conversation to end when I was unable to access a link to confirm my security details to progress the chat. The only advice I got was to contact the Virgin Mobile Personal Care team by telephone but due to circumstances at home it's not practical to call only to spend time on hold. The simhelp page on the website doesn't answer my query either.

My questions are:

1) Is the SIM faulty?

2) Is the new SIM compatible with the Nokia 100 at all? 

3) Is the new SIM compatible with the Samsung A800 at all?

4)  Are the operating systems of the Nokia 100 and Samsung A800 not compatible with the new SIM?

5) Does the SIM need to be activated before it can be installed?

6) I bought my second and current phone, the Nokia 100 from Virgin several years ago, I also bought the Samsung A800 (my first phone) from Virgin in July 2003. Do I need to unlock the phone(s) prior to installing the new SIM? If so, what are the steps I need to follow to do this, what numbers do I need to key in, and is this guaranteed to work? If it does work, will there be issues going forward? If it doesn't work, then what?

7) I don't really want to buy a new phone; I like my Nokia 100 and using PAYG. If I need a new phone, will the new SIM work in a sim free/unlocked phone of my choice? 

😎 This is a very real problem for a number of users. Is the problem being escalated within Virgin?

9) Is there a dedicated team addressing this issue?

10) Can the simhelp page on the website be updated with FAQs on this particular issue?

11) Can the simhelp page on the website be updated with a list of affected older phones indicating whether they can be unlocked or are just not compatible at all?

12) Why are new SIMs being rolled out at this time when there aren't enough people working in the contact centres to help when things go wrong?

13) In view of the reduced staffing levels at Virgin and frustrations in trying to speak to someone or even have a virtual chat, can the length of time to swap sims be extended from 30 days to say, 60 days, to give time for the problem to be resolved by either Virgin providing replacement phones, unlocking old phones if possible, customers buying a phone of their choice or even switching networks (the latter not being ideal if you still have credit on your phone)?

I chose Virgin mobile very carefully 17 years ago and have had no real issues or reason to complain. Right now I'm just looking for a simple way to register the issue with someone and get it resolved as quickly and simply as possible.

Advice from users, Virgin team members, VIPs or even Rachel Barrass, Director of Customer Services (if she is browsing these forums!) gratefully received.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
rfj25
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Invalid SIM

Same problem.  Received new SIM yesterday, removed old Virgin SIM from my Nokia 3310 ( original model from 2004) , inserted new SIM. Message on screen - "SIM card not accepted"

Reinserted old Virgin SIM and working fine.

Not mentioned in any FAQ so what do I do now.

Ray

0 Kudos
TiredofTrying
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I am experiencing similar, having been a long term customer and survived previous new sims, this has highlighted how awful virgin mobile custmer service is and how virtually impossible it is to find a contact other than an ohur wait on the phone to overseas staff who disconnect the call!

Have joined this forum today in hope of answer but the sheer amount of posts from people in similar situation is daunting. Can't even 'unlock' my phone that I never knew was ocked for the past tenplus years in order to leave!!!

0 Kudos
June5
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have an old Nokia which does not even recognise the new sim card. All I get is "start up phone without sim card?" Could you let me have the number of the personal care team because I am just going round in circles on the website getting nowhere ? Thanks
0 Kudos