cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Ringtone

lee8796
Tuning in

Hi All,  I recently switched to Virgin Mobile and people calling me say that the ringtone on their side sounds like when you call a mobile of someone who is overseas!

Anyone else had this and know what causes it?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lee8796 wrote:

That sounds like the same issue as mine. It even happens when calling from fixed line so for me it’s as is calls are being routed to my number through international routes. I’ve been told I’m on the Voda network as Virgin are moving everyone to that, maybe that has something to do with it.

I spoke to Virgin faults team and raised a fault so hopefully they’ll find something. 

More likely to do with the fact that Virgin SIM cards are Belgian. (But they won't tell you that.) One reason iPhones can end up displaying numbers in a Belgian format and very old Android phones display the roaming symbol.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

34 REPLIES 34

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pops up in this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Call-issues-and-dial-tones/td-p/4746629

That was the first I've heard of it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @lee8796,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

That is strange, not something I have come across before on the Forums but looks like there has been a similar report as @enlli has pointed out. 

Its a long shot, but on that thread we suggested checking if your numbers are in correct format. Is this something you can also check?

Not sure it will be a device issue, but can you try the SIM in another handset so we can rule this out?

We may need to send a replacement SIM to see if that fixes the issue. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha. 

the format is actually something I thought about. Another issue I had was that I was unable to call people if the number was just 07xx and it kept showing Dial Assist and messages from contacts were not showing contact names but were shown as +44 7957 etc. I had to change the format to +44 7957 in order to see contact names again. 

I’ll test it with my daughters phone by changing the format. 

thanks

Thanks for coming back to me @lee8796

That would be great, give that a go and if you find the issue is still the same, give me a shout so I can take a closer look into this for you. 

Cheers

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Will do. I’m getting loads of weird things. I replied to an iMessage earlier. It sent as a text message but to a +32 number!  Oddly he got the message though! Only had these issues since moving to Virgin from Three

20728B6D-1D97-4DA1-952B-21CCD1A0997B.png

I wish I could explain this better but I changed my daughters number to 07. When she calls now it doesn’t show her name just her number in the +44 format. Also tested both formats several times. Sometimes it rings normal, other like I’m abroad! Really confusing!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

iPhone picking up that Virgin SIM cards are Belgian 

This should fix it

Go to:

Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications -> tap "Roaming" -> tap "Select Mode"

I found "automatic" was selected by default.
Tap manual -> then choose National.
Now make sure your numbers are set to the correct format. If not change region to anything other than UK (Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> Region) and then change back to UK region

Thanks for the info. I’d already read about the sim application and changed it to Manual and National but it didn’t have any effect. All other regional settings are correct. 

with this being an intermittent issue it’s hard to put it down to a setting otherwise you’d expect it to be the same all of the time. Just tested 4 times with another phone, I got the UK ring twice and the abroad one twice! I tested with other format as well, that just brought more issues like no caller name, just the number!

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us :lee8796

Please can you confirm that dial assist has been turned off?  Are you also able to let me know if rebooting the handset resolves this issue? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M