Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Incompatible phone (iPhone 8 Plus)

Hi,
After a recent sim update my wife’s phone stopped working and did not have a connection or any service (this is today). 
Having spoken to a call centre individual I have now been informed that my wife’s iPhone 8 Plus is no longer compatible with the Virgin Network and their new sims????

Does this sound crazy to you?

So I wanted to complain to someone only to be cut off by the operator. I rang up again and found that my home phone number can no longer reach customer services (bearing in mind I also have TV, Broadband etc with Virgin) and also when I try to log into my Virgin account it no longer recognizes my email or password (and even says the mobile number entered is not recognized when I try to retrieve a password)??

Maybe I am being paranoid but it seems like the woman in question didn’t like the fact I was fairly miffed that a working phone 2 weeks ago with the old sim is now no longer compatible with Virgin Mobile. 

I can’t request a PAC code via text (as the phone has no service) and I have no means of contacting them. 

You see why I might be just a little bit **bleep** right now!

Anyone have any idea how I can complain and speak to someone higher up (or maybe I should just go to the press with my story to say that all slightly older phones are no longer working with Virgin?) Although she did say if I had bought the phone from them (the same iPhone 8 Plus it would work fine!!)

Weird eh?

Your help is appreciated and if there are any Virgin Media representatives monitoring this message please contact me (or delete this message like your call centre colleague would)

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incompatible phone (iPhone 8 Plus)

Somebody at 789 needs sacking. This is the second time I've heard this and it is 100% untrue.

What is true is that iPhone used to lock to the first carrier used. In Virgins case this was EE and would not work with the new none EE based SIM cards. Once unlocked they work fine. There are hundreds of them on the network 

Can you borrow a SIM from the likes of O2, Vodafone or 3 and pop it in the phone. If it works the phone is unlocked and the fault is elsewhere.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Fangouk,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into, I am so completely sorry that you and your wife has had to go through this ordeal.

I can confirm like Enlli that this is not correct and the IPhone 8 plus is definitely still compatible, I will be doing my best to take this back to the manager of this person. As for the trouble you've been having with getting through to us, we do seem to be having an error with some customers where they try to ring us but they get a message "we are not open right now, please call back later" when we certainly are open. This issue is being looked into by the IT team as we speak, but I am really sorry that it stacked on the stress for you at this time.  

Going back to your wife's phone, did she receive a new SIM card from us at the time it stopped working? We are sending out new SIMs during a migration from EE's network to our own VM network, which can sometimes lock the handsets. 

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes, we have had a new sim for about 1-2 weeks now. It worked at first but then stopped a couple of days ago and said ‘No Network’

My wife needs to be able to use her phone on a daily basis (as most of us do) and it was very disappointing to hear that the phone was no longer comparable (although you are now saying this is not the case?)

I spoke to another call centre representative yesterday to request a PAC code to move my business elsewhere and they did not actually question the advise I had been given either!!

Are you now saying that the phone is compatible and that you will send out a new SIM card to fix the issue? This needs to be addressed as a material of urgency.

The PAC code is valid for around a month and I am very tempted to use it and love to another network provider but I am confused as to whether or not you are able to solve the problem we have?

Please reply ASAP with a way forward and I can then decide if we want to move away or not?

Thank you for your help. 

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, 

I am so sorry the advice that was given to you is making you feel so frustrated, I will try my best to get this whole thing straightened out. 

What I would like to do is have a look into your Wife's mobile account and either give her an unlock code or get the migration switched over properly. I'll send a PM to you now so we can get started on resolving this. 

Speak soon.

Megan_L

0 Kudos