Menu
Dorothy09
Tuning in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Impossible to unblock SIM card

I live in Belgium and cannot unblock the new SIM card (code doesn't work).  I have written letters to the Sunderland address for VM but they only say look at their website, which I obviously did before I wrote the letters.  I cannot get to the UK due to the pandemic until at least next year.  But I am deprived of my NOKIA old-style mobile phone to contact friends in Britain now.  Surely there is somebody in VM who can solve this simple problem for a pensioner?  Thank you, Dorothy09

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Impossible to unblock SIM card

Hello Dorothy09

Sorry to hear this is happening 

Thanks for letting us know though 

Bad news I am afraid 

This can only be activated In the UK

Regarding the Nokia you have 

We can swap this for a newer Nokia, but again it is still only possible to be done fopr Customers in the UK 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Dorothy09
Tuning in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Impossible to unblock SIM card in Belgium

Thank you Gareth.  Do I have to post the SIM card to a friend in the UK as well as the phone?  Or can the SIM card be re-activated without the phone?

International postal services are so poor, I am worried it/they will get lost or damaged.  Where would my friend have to go to get the SIM re-activated and/or receive a replacement NOKIA 'phone please ?

I have been writing to VM since August to try to find a solution, but they never reply by any means (post, e-mail, telephone) to my Belgian address, so I am going round in ever-decreasing circles !!!  I get the impression that customer service is not a priority to VM?

All your helpful advice would be gratefully received.  Dorothy09

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

You only need to send the SIM card back. Once it is in the UK you will simply need to contact us to activate the SIM card. Then it can be sent back.

Concerning the handset part. We wouldn't be able to action any new handsets until the SIM has been activated and tested in the handset. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Dorothy09
Tuning in
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

But how can it be activated without the phone?  Where/who would I have to contact in the UK to get it activated - I am in Belgium!!!!!

Where do I have to send the SIM card and 'phone in the UK?  Nobody provides an address.

Since VM have never answered any of my letters sent from Belgium yet (since August) how can I be sure they would send the SIM card and/or 'phone (or a replacement) back?

Unless the 'phone is with the SIM card, how can it be tested and activated?  If I send it (where?) by registered post with recorded delivery are you going to reimburse those costs?

Please sort this problem out asap.  Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

As stated in my last message once the SIM card is in the United Kingdom you need to contact us and request it to be activated. You can either contact us over the forum's like you have or you can call into the team and request. 

You wouldn't be sending the SIM card to us. You need to send it to a friend who can send it back to you. You would need to test the SIM card in the handset or you can send the handset to your friend along with the SIM and they would can test it for you once it is activated. 

We wouldn't cover any of the shipping costs for this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

i think the explanations given whist true are not complete - the activation and/or new phone can only be posted to a UK address - someone you have contact with in the UK who can be a mailbox 

what is not being suggested is that you send the sim to VM in the UK and they wil then activate it and send it back to you

Tony
0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi -tony-,

Thank you for your input in this. 

The reason that final option isn't being suggested is that it isn't currently a viable option we can offer. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Dorothy09
Tuning in
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

If I send the 'phone and SIM to a friend who lives in Kingston upon Thames, where would she have to go to get it checked?  There is no VM shop where she lives.  I cannot send the charger as well (too bulky and heavy) so would VM still have a valid charger for this old-style NOKIA 'phone?   

What are all the other VM clients around Europe doing to validate their new SIM cards (if they have received them) as they can't travel to the UK due to the pandemic?

0 Kudos
Dorothy09
Tuning in
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

But where does my friend have to go to get the 'phone charged up and SIM activated in the Kingston upon Thames area please?  How complicated this is becoming just to have a tiny card inserted!  

0 Kudos