Menu
CatrinX
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If SIM card sent to old address, can they steal my number?

I bought my old Nokia phone so long ago that I can't remember whether I bought it in a shop or by mail order.  If by mail order, then Virgin probably does have an obsolete address and already sent a SIM card to that obsolete address.  Given the problems that others with old phones are having, I am probably going to switch to EE anyway, but I have a major concern in the meantime:

What security measures are in place to ensure that if someone else opens the envelope and takes the new SIM meant for me, that they cannot steal my number, get access to my texts and voicemail and so forth?

0 Kudos
CatrinX
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: If SIM card sent to old address, can they steal my number?

No one has answered this yet.

Does this mean that there IS in fact a severe security risk with Virgin sending SIM cards to obsolete addresses, if a new SIM does not reach the correct person, but is used by a random person opening the envelope? 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi CatrinX

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the delayed reply. 

We'd send the SIM to the address on file. 

It would be a customers responsibility to notify us of any house move and update their new address details. Have you logged in to your online account to check the address details we have?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
CatrinX
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John, but this is an ancient phone, I have no online account for it and have never thought there was a need to update my address (if Virgin have it, as I said, I can't remember if I bought it at a shop or not).

I do not want a new SIM (at least not yet) as it seems that lots of people with similarly old phones have had real problems with the new SIM, so I am considering my options including perhaps changing provider to EE.

What I want is reassurance that if Virgin have sent a new SIM to an obsolete address, that such a SIM cannot be used to hijack my number before I get this sorted one way or another.  Including, if I decide I want to try the new SIM and you send me a second one to my current address, that someone cannot use the gone-astray-first-one to hijack my number before I get the second one sorted! 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me. 

All SIMS are being replaced so if we haven't sent you one yet, we will be doing in the near future. 

Can you set up an online account for it and make sure the address is correct?

This can be done here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos