cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm confused on what network virgin mobile is using.

Luke198824
On our wavelength

I am confused on what network virgin mobile is using because the o2 store told me that virgin mobile is using the  Vodafone network and on Tuesday last week I went into the Vodafone store and they told me that virgin mobile is using the o2 network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You won't even notice the transition unless you check the network 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

24 REPLIES 24

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Luke198824 

If you perform another network search like you did in  <<< January >>>  ('the list of networks that come up are Virgin and 3 UK and EE and o2-UK and 23432') then you are still on Vodafone.

If the network search came up with Virgin, 3 UK, EE and Vodafone then you would be on O2-UK. (whichever one isn't listed is the one you are on)

If an VMO2 customer is on one of the Volt packages, or buys an O2 sim then they will be O2.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Luke198824, 

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry for any confusion caused over which network Virgin Mobile use. As our valued member @newapollo, has explained amazingly we use Vodafone and O2.

If you have any further queries regarding this information please come back to us . 

Kind regards Jodi. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I certainly hope that some Virgin SIM cards are not running on O2.

Massive confusion ahead regarding coverage if it was.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Luke198824
On our wavelength

Oh OK now can I find out if my virgin mobile sim card is working on O2 or Vodafone?

I'm on a virgin mobile contract and o2 contract on my my o2 contract account it said that I am able for volt benefits.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So you have 2 mobile contracts. One with Virgin and One with O2. The Virgin one uses Vodafone and the O2 one is naturally on O2.

If you have an O2 Contract and a Virgin Broadband contract at the same address this will get you Volt Benefits. 

Apply via My O2 

Read through this

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Volt/Volt-Megaguide/td-p/1541963

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

And just to confirm Enllis comments.

A few weeks ago I was on the Ooomph package which meant, as well as the Broadband and TV bundle I got a 'free' SIM that was labelled Virgin but piggy backed the Vodafone network (to further confuse matters a few months ago the same Ooomph bundle provided a Virgin labelled SIM which piggy backed the (far far better) EE network.

Anyway if you move to Virgin Volt you get a new SIM that is from O2 direct and your Virgin SIM is deactivated.

I suppose the confusion is that with Virgin/Vodafone you got one bill from Virgin for all services (including mobile). Now it is split into two - one for the Virgin services of broadband/TV (and Netflix if you are lucky lol) and one for O2 which is managed directly by O2 and not Virgin (as Vodafone was).

Nobody said it was easy LOL

Oh and I failed to add that if you stay with the Ooomph bundle you will still be on Vodafone (via Virgin). It's only Volt that gives you O2 at the moment.

Hi Luke198824, 

Thank you for coming back to us. Thanks to the community for their continued advice and support!

As Enlli advised you are eligible for VOLT benefits as you also have an O2 Sim!

You can read about VOLT benefits here: Supercharge your world with Volt | Virgin Media O2

You activate the benefits by heading to your My O2 account > 'More' Tab > 'Volt benefits' > 'Activate'. 

Let us know if there is anything else we can offer help and support with!
All the best. 

Molly