Menu
nalinu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have lost my internet connection suddenly

Today after using it the whole day I lost connection to the internet around 17:35. The router is working . It's not showing any signal at all to the out side world. 

It's also having a profile that says The ISP is Vodafone. But I have a Virgin SIM card. How could be that my ISP is showing as vodafone?

Can I order a new SIM card to replace what I have? As I am not sure what has happened here.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have lost my internet connection suddenly

What Hub model is it and what are the lights showing/doing?

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
RT66
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have exactly the same issue in Llandovery, Carmarthenshire. Having worked ok all day it disconnected at exactly 1800, and failed to reconnect. It's now saying it's on Vodaphone, but disconnected. The signal is weaker strength is weaker than before. Is this part of the move to Vodaphone? Do I need new APN settings. I had to go outside to my router and change the sim to an EE one which is working fine, hence no issues with the EE network here. Virgin.. what is happening?

0 Kudos
nalinu
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

First please accept my deepest thanks for taking time to respond.

So I managed to get internet back and you are spot on to ask the question about the hub / router. I am suing a TPlink archer m600 model. It had lost the profile somehow. Please don't ask how this happened as I was using the internet one minute and the next minute it was gone.

When I logged in to the router I saw it was  having a Vodafone profile. I was a bit sceptical but left it. Several rounds of reboots later, I thought I am going to try the profile settings on my phone ( which also has a virgin sim). Google for the profile settings as well and they seem to match and added a virgin profile.

It started working again. I will post here the URLs of the pages which had these profile settings as well. Thanks again for responding. Hugely appreciated. 

Please note that Virgin doesn't publish a support email address / no chat function or even a twitter handle to contact anyone. It's a disgrace in that sense.It's all good as long as it works. when it breaks  you are on your own. Thankfully, we also have sky broadband so it wasn't the end of the world. Just imagine if that wasn't the case. 

0 Kudos
nalinu
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's lost the virgin profile. in the APN field put goto.virginmobile.co.uk and leave useid / password name blanks and save it. hopefully that will get you connected.

Save the new virgin profile if it woks. Google about virgin profile field values if you hub / router asks for more information. For me above was enough to get reconnected. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This seems to be mobile related rather than broadband and Wi-Fi.

Post in the mobile phone forums.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos