Menu
JaneOlivia1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am in Australia and need a new pin to access my voicemail.. getting texts saying I need new SIM

Hello there - urgent help required please. I have been riding out the pandemic in Australia and my Virgin mobile is my lifeline as a freelance journalist based in the UK - I am looking to return in July. Two outstanding issues - Virgin Media has left voice messages but I cannot access them as I need a new pin (I dont remember having an old one). PLUS I have received texts stating that Virgin Media can't update my mobile network services and I have to dial YES to 80197 to get a new SIM. I don't want a new SIM - and it will never get to me - everything is fine and doesn't need fixing!! Please tell me how to update services - is there a link? And how do I get a new pin? Thanks so much in advance. Jane 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am in Australia and need a new pin to access my voicemail.. getting texts saying I need new...

Hey @JaneOlivia1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I can get your voicemail pin reset for you, you would only need a pin when you're trying to access your voicemails from outside the UK.

I will send over a private message and we can get the process started, please look out for the small purple envelope at the bottom right of your screen.

Regards,

Steven_L 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am in Australia and need a new pin to access my voicemail.. getting texts saying I need new...

Thanks for coming back to us @JaneOlivia1 and all of your details are correct. 

I have sent a new pin to your phone via text message, please let me know if you have received this and you're now able to access your voicemail.

Regarding your sim card, we have done a network migration and you would need a new sim card for us to update the network, we cannot update the network without a new sim card, this service but your handset should continue to work on the network until you return to the UK.

The other option would be for us to send a sim card to your home address and then you would need to arrange for the sim to be activated in the UK and sent to you in Australia.

The downside to this is that your current sim would be disabled and you'd have to wait to for the sim card to arrive.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
JaneOlivia1
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

thanks steven. i have received new pin. i am quite anxious about this network/sim card business - i absolutely cannot chance waiting for a new SIM on so many levels - my mail is being diverted but Royal Mail is not consistent and it could easily get lost or go to old address where there is no one to collect.. When oyu say the handset should work what do you mean, as the text I have received says I have until 30 June - 'To keep on enjoying our roaming services send YES to 80197 by 30 June 2021' to order a new SIM (which I wont) - so will my number keep working after then? Please say yes!! I only tend to use whats app when here .. except when trying to call Virgin Media!! Thanks, Jane 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us @JaneOlivia1.

I apologise that what I said wasn't correct, I have double and triple checked this with our mobile teams and they have advised that the messages are correct and that you would need a replacement sim after June 30th this year as we will be no longer able to support your existing sim card due to the network migration.

We can send this to an address in the UK and it would need to be activated in the UK before being sent off to you in Australia, there would be no other way to keep your services active after June 30th.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
JaneOlivia1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Steven, if I am not in the UK then how on earth can it be activated before being sent down here? There is no one to activate it and my phone is here in Australia with me. Jane 

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us @JnaeOlivia1 

We are not able to send sim cards outside of the UK unfortunately.  Is there not a friend or family member in the UK we could send the sim to before forwarding it to you.

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
JaneOlivia1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zac - possibly but whether it will arrive safely at both ends is in question.. thing is, your colleague says it has to be activated first before sending. How can this happen? Jane 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

For a SIM to be activated it will have to be put into a phone that is unlocked and allowed to connect to the UK network, once the new SIM is activated the old one will be deactivated as you can only have one SIM per number.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to us @JaneOlivia1 

As advised by @DJ_Shadow1966,  it would need to be placed into a phone in the UK to activate, The other alternative would be to send it already activated, however it would mean that you would be without the sim/number from the time it leaves us here at VM.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos