Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to keep my mobile working

Anyone got any advice on how to make contact with Virgin?  They have sent a new sim to a previous address and are threatening to cut off my phone if I don't insert the new sim.  But I can't find any way to tell Virgin that I have not received the new sim card.  There is no way to message them apart from this service.  Their shops aren't open and the call centre doesn't answer. 

Help!!!!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How to keep my mobile working

Hi PamBreck, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I apologise for the experience you've had when trying to get hold of the team! I can appreciate that this was a few days ago, have you spoken with anyone since? Don't worry if not, what I can do is send you a private message and get this sent to your new address. Just let me know if you still need help 🙂 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have had a reply and been sent a sim card.  But I cannot use it because I have a Sony Erikson phone and it just comes up with the message "Insert correct sim card"

I am not IT savvy (being elderly and disabled) so I asked younger and very IT knowledgeable friends to help.  They researched the issue on the web and told me that this is a general problem with Sony Erikson mobiles.  They found messages about this going back to 2010!

So is there a solution?  I am happy with the phone and sim I already have - can't I just keep it this way?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well that's not good to hear at all. Unfortunately in the case of the SIM card, It's not something that can be stopped, we have rolled this out to every single mobile customer of ours, as it allows us to keep on track with network upgrades. The customers that don't have the new SIM's as of yet will soon be contacted as a large group of customer recently have. 

I think the reason why you might have been getting that error message is because by the sounds of it the SIM is not activated. You would be able to confirm this by telling me if your old SIM you're currently using still works? 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think it is more than likely your phone is network locked, most phones where in the past. 

It will be locked to SIM cards which are basically EE. (Although with the age of the phone it could be Orange or T-Mobile which joined to become EE) 

Firstly, old Virgin SIM cards were EE based, the new ones aren't and will not work on locked phones. You need an unlocking code which comes from the original network. That could be difficult.

Secondly, exrperience tells us that even when unlocked, phones running the firmware used by Sony back then do not perform well.

I would suggest one of two options

1 Replace the phone with something more up to date.

2. Move to a network that uses EE based SIM cards. EE, BT, PlusNet and ASDA are all candidates.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is your phone PAYG?

Just found this 

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/sim-only/pay-as-you-go-closure

If so would be worth moving to one of the networks I mentioned now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello , going through the same hell - see my rant - anyway the phone center willalways answer but it takes 1-15mins and usually i'm not disconnected.

They have sent me 2 sony erikson chips that dont work.

They tell me that I wont lose my pay as go money on the phone.

Had to set up new passwords to enter into my `mobile sign in account' where I can find info.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WOW That's a fanstatic idea - £28 a month when I only use £10.00 a year on the phone. Now I can spend spend spend - who needs pay as you go.
0 Kudos