Menu
halda
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How to get my iPhone SE unlocked

I am a former Virgin Mobile customer from the US and I have an iPhone that I need to activate with my current carrier. I purchased the device outright and kept it as a backup, but now I need to use it replace my current one.

I contacted Boost Mobile and they told me they were unable to unlock my device. Since Virgin Mobile USA is no longer in business, I need to know if someone at Virgin Media can unlock my device.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to get my iPhone SE unlocked

if you are outside the UK or the phone was not bought from Virgin media UK they are unlikely to be able to help.

try apple or a local phone shop
0 Kudos
halda
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hmm. I purchased it directly from Virgin Mobile USA and have all the account info. Boost Mobile (which took over VM USA's business) does have my account info as well, but not able to unlock.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

so are you in the UK or USA?
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Mobile in the US was a completely different company to Virgin Media UK. The only similarity is they both licenced the name and Trade Mark. 

iPhones are locked on Apple servers and it usually needs the original network to inform Apple to release the lock and they generally won't accept requests from other networks.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
halda
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

USA.

Oh, and on a whim, popped in my current SIM card and apparently now able to access my carrier's network. Based on what I researched, the device was supposedly locked. (For ex, it still said the old network in Cellular Settings). Go figure — problem solved in the most direct, efficient and non-obvious way!
0 Kudos
halda
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah and everything from the VM toll-free number to the community boards in the US is completely gone.

Turns out that problem solved, quite unexpectedly. For the hell of it, I popped in the SIM card and it worked fine. Except I can't record a custom voice mail greeting at the moment.
0 Kudos