Menu
Paulaz
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How do I obtain a "Network Key"?

I've inserted a new replacement sim - an onscreen message asks for a "Network Key", however there is no mention of this key in the accompanying letter. I've sopoken to call centre staff - they said I would receive the key via email. Four days later and the email containing the key hasn't arrived. My old sim has been deactivated so there's no point in putting it back in.

Hence my phone has been rendered useless.

Phone is a virgin mobile "VM665"

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How do I obtain a "Network Key"?

It sounds very much that your phone is network locked. The original SIM cards were EE based and the phones were locked to EE type cards. The new cards are Virgin's own and are seen as a different network by the phone.

As this is one of Virgin's own phones they should be able to supply you with an unlocking code.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Paulaz
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bizarrely, I've spoken to a member of Virgin's 'customer service' staff this morning and she claims to have never heard of a "Network Key".

She argued that I'd read the text message incorrectly, and it actually said "sim code". Well the message definitely refers to a "Network Key" - NOT "sim code" but she continued to dispute this FACT.

I pointed out that I'd already noticed at least one other comment on this forum from a customer who has experienced exactly the same problem ... so perhaps it would be better if she transferred me to a more senior member of staff. She refused ... in fact she reckoned that she was more familiar with technical terms that her colleagues who hold posts higher up the employment scale!

0 Kudos
Paulaz
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlii ... I just wish Virgin Mobile staff were as knowledgable as you are! They are refusing to acknowledge that there's a problem
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The people on 789 work to a script. If the exact words are not there you are screwed.

Just ask for your phone to be unlocked to work with a different SIM Plain and simple

If that does not work I'll flag this thread for one of the team to take a look.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Paulaz
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Could you flag this for me please enlli ... I'd appreciate that.

The latest response from Virgin has been to send me another new sim card ... which obviously results in the same message about a requiring a "Network Key".

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Paulaz wrote:

Could you flag this for me please enlli ... I'd appreciate that.

The latest response from Virgin has been to send me another new sim card ... which obviously results in the same message about a requiring a "Network Key".

Flagged

@ModTeam 

Customer getting nowhere with 789 - almost certain all that is needed is an unlocking code

Use Kudos to say thanks