Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Help for an elderly friend

Hi,

I wonder if a kind person from Virgin Media would be able to help a friend of mine. She is getting on in years and not entirely up to speed with technology (she didn't realise she had to recharge the phone every now and then !) and has had a mobile PAYG phone with Virgin for some time.

The only time she uses the phone is to answer calls from the person who has Lasting Power of Attorney (LPOA) over her affairs. Her husband is in the latter stages of dementia and they are both in the same Care Home.

Because of all of the above, she has not made a chargeable call or text from her phone for some time and of course now, when her LPOA switched it on they received the "SIM Card Failed To Register". I've advised them both that the only solution is to get another SIM card and make sure that once a month, she sends a text message or makes a call. However, they now tell me that this original SIM card has over £100 of credit loaded to it.

Given the circumstances and as long as there is a way to prove that there was actually £100 loaded still, would Virgin Media be able to transfer this credit to a new SIM card in order to help this poor lady out?

Would appreciate any help that can be given. Many thanks.

Regards

Ian N.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help for an elderly friend

The biggest problem is that Virgin no longer do PAYG SIM cards. But I'll push this to the team.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enlii,

Many thanks for your help.

I've now received more information. It seems that Virgin Media sent a replacement SIM on or around 14th August this year as part of their service improvement. Unfortunately it was sent to my friend's old address, she is now in a care home and hasn't lived at the address where the SIM would have been delivered for at least a year. I did ask why she hadn't notified VM of the change of address but as it was only a PAYG phone, she felt it wasn't necessary.

The £100 credit was added to the phone at the Post Office, we have the receipt, on 29th September this year and I wonder if Virgin Media could simply re-issue the new SIM with the £100 credit. We would have to get my friend, or her Power of Attorney, to notify Virgin Media of her new address before the new SIM is issued but that can be done relatively easily.

Hopefully VM can help in this case.

Regards

Ian N.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian, 

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear of the situation, I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you to help 🙂

Alex_Rm

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just wanted to say in public what an absolute star Alex has been in helping me resolve this issue.

Thanks Alex, you are a legend 🙂

0 Kudos