Menu
raptornet
Tuning in
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Help been sent incompatible new sim card

Hi there

I need some advice.

Virgin recently sent my elderly father a new sim card, instructing him to install it as soon as possible. Aftering inserting it in his Nokia 8230, the sim didn't work, his phone reported "invalid sim". After calling support they couldn't seem to help and said they would call back. A few hours later we received a call back, another member of the support team trying to get things sorted. It was during this call that I asked if he really needed the new sim, couldn't he just keep using the old one? I mean it worked fine, he only makes voice calls to me, my partner, his doctor and the hospital. Well the response was shocking, it transpired the previous operator has deactivated my fathers old sim card and activated the new one without asking. I thought they needed authorisation for that? I was told he could not continue to use his old sim as it was now dead.

I was then asked:
Could he not just use another phone?
Could I try his sim in my phone?

My father is 72 years old with early signs of dementia, as such, sudden change is not something you can just introduce in to his life. We can't just change his phone to an all bells and whistles smart phone because he simply wont understand it. However the operator didn't care and clearly hadn't been listening because she then offered me a free smart phone. I think she was shocked when I asked if she'd even been listening to me. My father doesn't need a smart phone, he needs his old phone, the one he knows how to use. Virgin have now take away my dads life line to contacting myself or my partner in an emergancy and all they could do, is offer me a smart phone instead of fix the issue.

I'm now giving serious consideration to contacting ofcom as their negligence has put my father at risk, taking away a critical life line.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help been sent incompatible new sim card

It sounds like your elderly fathers mobile phone is locked to the EE network, virgin are moving away from EE and in preperation for that all virgin customers are to use the new sim card.  Once the new sim card is activated then the old one will be deactivated.

Are you sure it is a nokia 8230?

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raptornet, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm really sorry about the issues your father has had with being sent  anew SIM, I can fully appreciate the upset that this might have caused. 

As Jb66 said we have made some changes to the way we do things, including giving all our customers new SIM cards. With the new SIM cards we have been giving customers notifications of these changes so I do apologise if your father didn't receive any previously. 

If the handset your father is using is locked to EE which is the network our SIM's use to run off then it would be locked to the new SIM cards. 

Do you know if your father purchased the phone from us directly or where it was purchased from? 

We'd be more than happy to see if we can help with getting it unlocked so he can continue to use it. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
raptornet
Tuning in
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

My apologies, the handset is a 5230. Since the issue which arose on Thursday, I have unlocked the phone. It was no easy feat and how on earth my father was meant to to do this, goodness knows.

Since unlocking the handset it quickly became clear over the course of Friday that something wasn't quite right. The phone kept randomly rebooting, cutting off midway through a call and acting and an erratic manner.

After consulting the manual, Nokia states you can not use a micro SIM + arapada in the handset. Doing so risks damaging either the sim or the phone.bmy dad's old SIM is a standard size SIM, the gold circuit is visibly larger than on the new 3 in 1 SIM.

The handset was purchased from a Virgin Mobile store in 2009. Which is when my father bevbeca a Virgin mobile customer. Which unless this issue is resolved, I see coming to an end quite soon.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting us know. 

The SIM we sent should have been full size and from there you can push SIM cards through to the size you need, was this not the case? 

There would be no need for adapters anymore with sending the SIM cards out this way. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

This has come up before. Virgin SIM and Nokia phones running Symbian firmware.

It seems it is pretty certain that they are not compatible and people report the exact same symptoms.

If the phone is unlocked you have two choices 1. Replace the phone 2. Move to another network.

Virgin SIM cards are fairly unique in their programming and throw up problems now and again on various phones

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

raptornet
Tuning in
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

The sim that was sent to my father was a 3 in 1 SIM. Which means it can be pushed out from a standard to micro and finally nano sim. However the circuit is visibly smaller than his old son.

Now if Virgin can see right to reactiving the old sim card, which functioned fine for 10 year, this issue would be completely resolved.

We are planning to visit meadowhall today to see if Three, O2 or one of the other networks can offer a solution as Virgin Mobile haven't even had the decency to call us bsck. They just knowingly left my father unable to use his mobile. The level of negligence displayed so far has be appalling.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I can fully appreciate the upset caused but we do need all of our customers on the new SIM cards, this is something we have been doing for the past two years. 

If we didn't send a new SIM card out your fathers would have been deactivated at some point to complete the switch over for all of our customers. 

As the SIM has been deactivated we're unable to reactivated it I'm afraid. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
raptornet
Tuning in
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Then can you explain why my old Orange SIM which is now running on EE network continues to work fine? They've done the roll over and not replaced the SIM card which is an old standard size SIM card. So clearly the old SIM cards DO work on the EE network. It's just that Virgin customers are being forced to change.

It's frankly disgusting that Virgin / EE are happy to to leave an elderly pensioner at risk but still bill him for services he now can not access because of a problem they have created. I shall be reporting this to Offcom.

God forbid my dad has a fall while he's out the house, because he now can't even call a family member for assistance. 

At this point we shall be migrating his number to another network at soon as possible. I find the idea of giving Virgin mobile any money at all offensive.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

It is only Virgin mobile customers that this change will impact, it is us that has made the change to improve our network. 

It is disappointing to learn of the impact that this has had on your father and if you do remain unhappy please check out our complaints code of practice which you can find here

Emma_C - Forum Team