cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government Emergency Alerts

HMB42
Dialled in

I have a Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 phone, but cannot see anyway of turning off emergency alerts in my settings.  How can I turn these alerts off on my phone when there is nothing in my settings?  Please help as am at theatre on 23rd April when testing is supposed to happen and don't want phone going off during performance.  

Contacted Samsung and as there is nothing in settings they said to talk to Virgin about turning off alerts.

15 REPLIES 15

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @HMB42 👋,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

If you are looking to opt out of receiving emergency alerts, you may be able to do this via your device settings - it isn't something we are able to do for you. 

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The answer is simple. Either shut the phone right down or put it in Airplane/Flight mode.

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/samsung/galaxy-a3/basic-use/turn-flight-mode-on-or-off/ 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

@HMB42 You might find the below helps. 

For Samsung phones:

Individual phones may vary. In settings search for emergency alerts, click on wireless emergency alerts (this may also be labelled 'emergency alerts') to access the settings. Allow alerts toggles emergency alerts on or off.

For other Android Phones: 

The Emergency Alert settings are dependent on the manufacturer and model. Generally the settings can be found through one of the following ways:
•  Open Settings, select Sounds and select Advanced. You should see an option for Emergency Broadcasts.
•  Open Settings, select Wireless & Networks and select More. You should see an option for Cell Broadcasts.
•  Open Settings and select General Settings. You should see an option for Emergency Alerts.
•  Open the text message app and select Message Settings. You should see an option for Emergency Alert Settings.

Your alert settings may be called a number of different names including: Emergency Alerts, Emergency Broadcasts, Extreme Threats, or Severe Threats.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The theatre will expect you to have the grace to turn off your mobiles during the performance.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is some info on opting-out of these alerts, at https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-work 

It's not something that any network operator can advise on, or assist with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I’m sure theatres, cinemas etc will be fully aware of the alarm test and will advise you accordingly - likely just turn the device off. Silent mode won’t silence the emergency alarm in this situation.

andycambs
Superfast

90 mins later and no alert received...

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not all phones can receive alerts, particularly older modes.

Also needs to be on 4G or 5G at the time of the alert

It’s an iPhone 13Pro - so should have, and the Extreme and Severe alerts are switched on