Menu
JRG49
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Google Play Services keeps Stopping

Switched on my phone this morning and ever since I keep getting "Google Play Services keep stopping". I have looked at trying to uninstall but it's a default app and won't let me. I've tried "Uninstalling Updates"  but that just says it's "Unsuccessful".

I've spoken to Virgin Mobile and other than what I have tried, they can only suggest doing a Factory reset which will mean losing texts etc from my phone.

What's the easiest way to save the data such as texts? I've got "smart switch" could I use that by transferring onto my desk top and back again?

Are there any other options to solve the error message otherwise?

Thanks in advance for any advice

John G 

0 Kudos
Demogorgon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google Play Services keeps Stopping

Google Play Services is one of those core processes on Android devices. You're probably going to have to reset. Apps typically will back up their own data or will offer a service to do that for you, for example WhatsApp uses Google Drive as a back up. But also depending on your phone's make/model, you should have an 'Accounts' menu setting or cloud service that will do the back up for your phone. 

Also try not to back up every single thing or app on your phone because you might also be backing up whatever is causing the defect/error. Back up what you needed and cut your losses.

JRG49
Dialled in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google Play Services keeps Stopping

Thank you. I have just backed up phone using Smart Switch on to my PC and now about to reset the phone. Fingers crossed!
0 Kudos