Menu
tchobe
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Google Pixel 5 doesn't work with Virgin Mobile 5G

TL;DR: Pixel 5 (5G ready) doesn't work with Virgin Mobile using a 5G Sim Card in an area with 5G coverage in London 

Hi there guys,

I am just checking to see if anyone had the same problem or know if it is something that could get fixed soon.

I've been with Virgin Media for more than a year happy with everything. Recently I upgraded my Pixel 2 to a Pixel 5 knowing it would still take some time to actually get any 5G.

When I heard a few weeks ago that VM would be providing 5G through Vodafone I decided to call them to see the quickest way to get it going. The lady over the phone said I would need to start a new contract and receive a 5G Sim Card (which was odd as apparently the 4G ones should work straight away).

I got everything sorted and yesterday I started the new contract, but unfortunately I did not get any 5G signal. After speaking with someone through the SMS Chat Service I have been told that although the Pixel 5 is 5G ready, it is not listed under the VM Compatible 5G ready phones, which is a big bummer because you can get it with Vodafone (so it should work with VM I guess).

I am furloughed at the moment so it really doesn't affect me too much now, but I would love to be able to use 5G soonish. 

Does anyone happen to know when the Pixel 5 might work with Virgin Media?

Is this also happening with the Pixel 4a 5G?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google Pixel 5 doesn't work with Virgin Mobile 5G

So when you go into Connections 》Mobile Networks is 5G listed as a network mode.

Also, is VoLTE showing as turned on.

Question too is 5G available at your location. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tchobe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No. Unfortunately not.

The mobile networks that shows up are Virgin, O2, Three, EE, etc... Options range from G all the way up to 4G.

I do not have VoLTE and Wifi Calling, but I actually never managed to get them working before with other carriers. The options under Call Settings don't even show up.

I have a feeling it is something that needs to be switched on from Virgin Mobile, but of course it could be a problem with Google Mobiles also.

5G is listed as my preferred network type.

5G should be available in my location, but I cycled to Hammersmith yesterday just to double check 2 different locations.

Thanks for the quick answer buddy.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Strange VoLTE will be essential to make calls over 5G and 4G. Particularly when Vodafone turn off 3G.

At the end of the day the Pixel is pretty much raw Android, so you think it would work. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tchobe
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I agree.

It actually never really bothered me, when I receive a phone call the Network Type goes from 4G to H straight away and then back to 4G when the call is finished. It used to happen with O2 also when I had a contract with them.

I was hopping someone else with the same mobile could get it working and shed some light on this matter to help me out.

Thanks anyway buddy, I hope i get this working soon.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not a solution, more an indication of your settings. you could download an app called netmonster, open it and select the 3 dots bottom right then phone info.

If you have the phone setup for WiFi calling and volte your side it should show provisioned. It should also show your preferred network type that you can hopefully select the 5g 4g 3g option or whatever it's called. That doesn't show on my phone as it's 4g.

tchobe
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This app is quite good to check the masts around you.

I had looked this info up through *#*#4636#*#* (*#*#INFO#*#*) but no dice.

I searched for 5g deals with other carriers but their coverage aren't as good as Virgin (Three, o2, Sky, etc), and the prices of EE and Vodafone (good coverage) are ridiculous compared to what I pay at moment. So I guess I will sit tight for now and wait for an alien abduction.

Cheers anyway guys! 

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello tchobe

Thanks for taking the time to post in regards to your Google Pixel 5 and using 5G, we're happy to help and welcome to the forums.

Having checked here, we can confirm that the Google Pixel 5 isn't currently supported for 5G on our SIM's. As this is a new feature for our mobile customers we're still expanding the range of handsets but don't have exact dates at the moment.

For updates on this and other features please check here virg.in/custnews

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos