Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Galaxy S8 bulging

I am into my 3rd year of a contract a Galaxy S8, with about 8 months to go.  My S8 has suddenly split around all sides exposing the inner electronics.  I have no insurance and there was only a 2-year warranty on an item with a 3-year contract.  The entire phone seems to have bulged outwards, seperating back from front.  I have read quite a few people raising issues with gas build up in the lithium battery, so this phone is potentially dangerous.  I'm also aware of the issues Samsung has had with other devices, involving heat and battery problems, causing fires and explosions. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do?  All virgin said, was to pay off my contract early and upgrade, which I cannot afford to do.  I take meticulous care of all my handsets and return them to Virgin Mobile after my contract without so much as a scratch on them. but this phone looks like its about to explode.  Not sure if anyone can suggest anything, clutching at straws.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Galaxy S8 bulging

Yep sounds like battery.

Little you can do as you say it is outside Samsung's  2 year warranty.

That's the problem with 3 year loans. The battery, which is classed as a service item can give out, one way or another sooner than that and there is no recompense.

On a safety note do not use the phone. The battery can be replaced, not sure of the damage to the case as that will add to the price 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Galaxy S8 bulging

Hello

I know from experience that most phone companies have a procedure for reporting Safety issues, as this is a swollen battery then in the first case I would give Samsung a call and raise it.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.