Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Galaxy S6 Edge phone locked

Hi All,

Recently received a new purple upgrade sim card and its locked my Galaxy S6 Edge!

No calls in or out, no texts. Called Virgin, said it was a faulty sim, sent another, still the same! It's saying "sim network pin blocked, enter sim network PUK". 

Virgin have given me 4 different numbers none of them worked. In the end they said it had beaten them and sent me a cheap Huawei phone which I didn't want.

Is there any way to get my S6 back up and running?

All answers gratefully received!

Thanks for reading this post,

Steve.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Galaxy S6 Edge phone locked

Were did the phone come from? If it worked with the old SIM then it has been locked to the EE network by that provider.

If Virgin, you can ask for an UNLOCKING CODE if not then I'm not sure what unlocking services the likes of EE are running at present.

If really stuck you will have to use a SIM from an EE based network temporarily. ASDA would be a good bet as the supermarkets are open.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi VIP,

Yes I think it was originally with EE. Virgin took the IMEI number and called me back with 2 codes which didn't work, I assumed

they had been in contact with EE? 

Can the phone be totally unblocked without these codes so I can start again?

Thanks for getting back to me!

Steve.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can't be unblocked without the correct code. Also putting in a wrong code too many times will lock out the phone.

I doubt Virgin got anything from EE

Don't know if this is useful

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/unlock-your-phone/unlock-a-ee-device-to...

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help Enlli, I'll try that!

All the best,

Steve.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It would seem loads of existing VM customers may be entirely unaware that they have EE locked phones which the new VM SIM will not work in, even if just as a replacement for an existing working VM SIM.

The EE offices you need to call to get the phone unlocked (for which there is a fee in many cases) would appear to be closed due to the Coronavirus pandemic. The EE online form is only for existing EE customers.

0800 956 6000

I can personally confirm that I have dropped an ASDA sim into an affected phone and the ASDA SIM worked, as apparently has a similarly afflicted soon to be ex VM customer down the thread.

Actual EE sims will also almost certainly work.

Plusnet sims will also likely work, although from personal experience I would never recommend a move to Plusnet and can't personally confirm it has worked in these circumstances.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi nticableuser,

Thanks for the info. Going to let my wife have this one if I can get it going! I've just purchased a new S9 . This is unlocked so would the sim that's causing the problem work ok in it? I wouldn't want this one locking up as well! 

Thanks again for the help,

Keep safe,

Steve.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Just another thought , my wife has the old style VM sim in her phone, would this transfer into my s6 without any problems

or will I still need a code number?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The old SIM will work electronically,but if it's not multi push out it may not fit unless you are capable of cutting it down.

You will have to compare sizes

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Steve,

The issue with the older sims is not just size:

It would seem VM are phasing the EE capable sims out. The 2 letters I have seen with the people who have contacted me seem to say quite clearly that the new (VM/unlocked phone required ) sim must be activated within 30 days to avoid losing service.

Now I don't know whether this is a marketing threat 'o' gram to try to force you to move onto the new sim but we can only assume they mean what they say (whatever the cost to the customer) and that they will start disabling the older sims in 30 days as they state.

But even if not, you will be back in the same boat when VM move from EE to vodaphone which I assume this is in preparation for.

0 Kudos