Menu
dazdandconfused
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Future of new PAYG SIM

I've been using the classic PAYG SIM service for several years, maybe 15+. A few days ago Virgin sent me a new SIM which works perfectly but I'm confused as to how long this service will continue. The Virgin website states the service will end in July 2020 and nudges me toward 1pMobile. That clearly didn't happen and the new SIM sent a month after that suggests some level of continuation.

Today I tried to top up £10 through 789. The voice message gave an example of typing 05 for £5 so I thought that typing 10 for £10 followed the same pattern but provoked errors so I settled for £5. I chose not to experiment with 010, 100 or 1000 but was that just a temporary glitch or are Virgin keeping credit levels low because there's still a cunning plan to pull the plug?

0 Kudos
severnbore
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Future of new PAYG SIM

A cunning plan ..... interesting

Yours works

Mine doesn't and I've £85 credit on it and LOCKED out of the NETWORK.

0 Kudos
dazdandconfused
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The transition between old and new SIMs worked well for me and my previous £2 credit was transferred. The tariff only worked for me because I normally used the phone so little, apart from a three week period when my broadband was down and using the phone tethered for basic text chat and emails at £2 per 200mb/day for data topped £80.

Hopefully they'll fix whatever technical problem is keeping you off the network but I doubt if you'd have much problem getting a refund if that ever became your preferred route. With £85 to spend there are better tariffs out there.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi dazdandconfused,

Thanks so much for posting on the community and a very warm welcome goes out to you.

In all honesty, we currently have no updates for what the future holds for PAYG SIMs, only that we stopped the sale of them back in August 2019. As soon as we have any updates on any changes that are due to take place, we will let you know.

All the best,

Beth

0 Kudos