Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Forced Sim Upgrade Calamity

Back in June you sent me a new SIM card for your "even-better network" and as expected my old SIM card, which had been working fine for ages, was disconnected.

The new SIM seemed to work initially but then my Samsung A5 phone reported that I needed a "SIM network unlock code".

I requested this code and it arrived in the post a few days later. At first the code didn't seem to work, but then quiet randomly about an hour later, magic, I was connected and received a few text messages that had obviously been waiting.

Then a few hours later, it all went wrong again, my phone is telling me I have a network locked SIM card installed.

Oddly enough, as I'm typing and checking the exact wording of the error message, my phone has connected to the "Virgin" network again as it should.

The problem then seems to be that the "even-better network" has atrocious coverage. For the last 2 weeks I have been trying to get my phone to register on the Virgin network and it kept failing, then in the last few days the Virgin network wasn't even showing as an available Network operator. Scanning for networks I can reliably see

• EE
  • O2
  • Vodaphone
  • 23432 (which I think is an emergency network)

Am I thinking that the problem with the "SIM Network Unlock Code" is due to my phone / sim not being able to contact the Virgin network?

What can I do about the poor coverage? Your site says it is "excellent" where I am which is clearly a lie, I've been trying to find the Virgin network 1-2 miles away from my home in various directions, going up hills, and still nothing.

Who's network are you using now?

Can I connect to anything other than the Virgin branded network?

Why is it so hard to contact anyone about this, your website sends me around in circles and when I do find a "Chat now" button it causes an error?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Forced Sim Upgrade Calamity

What make and model phone do you have?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you read my message?

2nd sentence.

Samsung A5
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi InTheDark, thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you've had problems with your mobile service since the SIM was replaced. It definitely shouldn't impact the signal to that extent,and it's quite odd that the error message regarding it being network locked is intermittent as that's not usually the case.

I think we should try replacing the SIM first of all in case it's faulty. I will contact you via PM shortly to get this arranged and hope to hear back from you soon.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.

I don't think the new sim has made the reception any worse. What I suspect is that with the old sim, when my phone lost the network it would seemlessly reconnect without any problems. Text messages might take a bit longer than normal to come through but it was only while I was staying in a bad network area (where I am now).

The problem with the new sim seems to be that after losing the network I am required to enter the Sim network unlock code again, which requires good reception to work successfully. 

I have been able to connect a few times, but some hours later the connection is lost and my phone becomes unusable again.

It also seems that I have to restart the phone to enter the code, so that' quite a pain when it doesn't work most of the time.

0 Kudos