Menu
BLS2020
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

False Internet charges

In November, I have 2 charges of  £2 for data usage 1k "using the internet" and two for 1k "using the internet" with no charge.

The phone is a replacement phone Energizer E12 sent by VM  in October 20. It has not been enabled for internet since I received.

Any advice ?

#

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: False Internet charges

This phone does have Internet and even if you don't use it occasionally it will check for things like updates.

There seems to be no way to stop this other than removing the APN settings

. In Menu mode, select Settings → Connectivity → Data
account

Virgin will charge a ridiculous £2 for the first access to data in any one day. Subsequently there will no charge on the same day after that.

If you don't need data access I would suggest you ring Virgin to get it turned off on your account

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BLS2020
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I was not aware that the replacement phone would access the internet in that way. I cannot turn off the internet access, the phone has two settings: Connect when needed and Always Connect, I set it at "Connect when needed" when I first set up the phone. I also tried to delete all the internet providers in the settings but it said I must have one.

I have the phone as an emergency phone to make very occasional calls and texts on a cheap PAYG. I am happy to ask VM to turn off internet access but I would like my PAYG account refunded for the charges.

0 Kudos
pumas
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

peartrees posted this

Anyway, this is what I did to turn the internet off.

1) Menu - Settings - Connections - I unchecked GPRS service 

(I didn’t know what GPRS meant until now. From what I can gather, General Packet Radio Service is an always on system that connects your phone to the internet. If that’s incorrect, I am sure someone will correct me. If it’s always on, then ideally the phones should have be configured with the service deactivated with the user having the choice to activate it).

2) Menu - Settings - Connections - Network Account - I deleted Vodafone Network, o2 Network and o2 MMS (but could not delete Vodafone MMS).
0 Kudos
BLS2020
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this helpful suggestion and have acted upon it. I have unticked GPRS , set Data Connection to "Connect when needed" and  selected "Manual select" under Network Selection. I will also contact VM Customer service to request no Internet connection in my PAYG account. Problem is I have found the text service appallingly bad involving connecting with bots that I cannot understand what they want me to do. Perhaps I will ring and talk to a real person if I can put up with the wait.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @BLS2020 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have been charged to get on the internet. 

We are able to disable to access to the internet from here if you haven't been able to do that as of yet? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
BLS2020
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak,

Yes I would like to prevent internet access. The problem is that phone apparently triggered the access itself not myself. This phone is an emergency backup to make calls and send texts only that is why I want a calls and texts PAYG.

A refund of the two false charges would be appreciated.

Best regards

Brian Strugnell

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No problem we can get this arranged. 

I am going to drop you a PM so that I can get some account information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
toll_n
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I also have the problem with unwanted internet charges on my E12 phone. I have unticked the GPRS service  box in the settings part of the phone. If Virgin Media Mobile would disable internet access in my account at their that would be appreciated.  

Regards,

toll_n

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Toll_N

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your mobile data services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you and get your data turned off on our side.

I will send you a PM now as we need to pass security in order to make any changes like this.

Speak soon!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos