Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Extremely poor coverage

I have tried contacting virgin Mobile about eight times using the phone however every time someone would answer for the first three times they would say that I did not pass security despite asking me 5-8 questions and making me repeat each one a few times because the line keeps breaking up, they would say call again and try again and hang up. Then finally the forth time someone was kind enough to allow me to change my password and I passed security so she was able to help however due to the extremely poor network coverage the line dropped and I had to call again and again for another 3 times and the line kept dropping making the total number of times I tried to call 7 or 8 times. Ridiculous

This shows that I have extremely weak coverage from virgin Mobile and I always have one or two bars or none at all.

I have tried restarting the phone I have tried resetting the network settings I have tried several troubleshooting steps I have tried putting the Sim in another phone the issue still persists I have tried two different Sims for virgin Mobile the issue is still there so the issue is not from the phone or the sim but from the network network which is extremely weak.

I would like this to be resolved either you provide me with a Sim on a different network provider that is not EE network or you do something about it because I cannot receive almost any calls I’m missing all my calls and when I try to make a phone call it’s an absolute pain especially when you have to phone companies and you are holding on the phone for 20-25 minutes for someone to pick up and then when they finally pick up you speak for five minutes and then the line drops and then you have to call again and again and again and one has to call the company seven or eight times until you manage to get your point across and in this occasion I couldn’t even after calling 7-8 times that’s why I have to post this on the forum.

I’m very frustrated and unhappy with this and would like it resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely poor coverage

So is this a long standing problem

What do these sites say?

https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Virgin cannot give you a SIM on another  network, nor can they do anything with the network, they just buy airtime 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible network coverage Edinburgh

How do i delete the double post? This is my first post here, I am unfamiliar with the page

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible network coverage Edinburgh

This, I think was the one, to which I originally replied

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Extremely-poor-coverage/td-p/4265372

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

829F94FC-EB7B-40B9-815F-EF8E7966A0C1.png

9BE7204F-2CBB-45B0-BAA9-EACE973326EC.png

Well this is what the websites say and this is what my actual coverage is. Let me know if you cannot see the pictures i uploaded 3 screenshots

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK. Don't know you exact circumstances.

I'm supposed to have great signal where I live on both EE and 3 according to all the checkers. But I'm in a small dip and have steel beams, the signal is rubbish!

Are you in Stone built property, as that will make a massive difference. 

If it is just at your location and the phone works well elsewhere not sure what Virgin can do in that case, not owning the radio network.

Only way out would be WiFi calling. Virgin are rolling it out but it is only some Samsung and iPhone at present with others to follow in the future.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The Ofcom coverage checker you've quoted, factors in 4G coverage on 800Mhz on EE, which Virgin don't have access to. 800Mhz coverage relies on 4G-calling, which Virgin (being an MVNO) don't offer. One independent checker I use, does show 4G-800Mhz present in EH8 7AF. I'd also guess that the buildings in parts of Edinburgh probably have thick stone walls, making the problem even more apparent.

Unfortunately, as long as you've proven your phone isn't at fault by trying it in other locations - there isn't anything can be done to improve this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello there mate,

yeah Edinburgh is an old city and the majority of the buildings are old , we have already tried it in 2-3 phones and coverage is terrible. There is 0 chance of making a phone call when indoors being at my place EH87AF, my gf EH93D(X), the hospital, when in the car driving google maps keeps losing connection.

We have already tried with both phones mine and hers iphone 11 and iphone xr. Same thing and those are 2018/2019 released phones from apple it doesn’t get better than that.

Just terrible. I don’t want to continue with this sim and with this contract. How can i log in a formal complaint or get someone to sort this out?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

E2C0CB1D-A76E-4377-9130-9AA6475F1991.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

From what I can make out from the picture both have low signal, but EE is has WiFi calling.

If the phone is iPhone 11 with the latest firmware and a purple sim then WiFi calling is possible with Virgin. Use the text service to ask them to enable it on your account.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos