cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of PAYG, Can you recommend a network for infrequent users?

Shaun4
Tuning in

I got a text today informing me that Pay As You Go service on Virgin is to be discontinued from 22 January 2022. As an infrequent user, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a network to switch to preferably with a reliable coverage, international roaming, a decent inactivity period, credit that does not expire and no regular monthly charges. Unfortunately O2 appears to have mandatory bundles for customers not on their legacy Pay As You Go tariffs which is off putting.

If I have to decide today, I would go with Three having already used it with a secondary number but I wonder if a mobile virtual network operator could provide a good if not better deal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

ASDA Mobile do a traditional PAYG plan.

Runs on Vodafone

Giffgaff runs as PAYG if you put money on but don't go down the bundle route

Runs on O2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

ASDA Mobile do a traditional PAYG plan.

Runs on Vodafone

Giffgaff runs as PAYG if you put money on but don't go down the bundle route

Runs on O2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Shaun4
Tuning in

In case this is helpful for PAYG customers who have not yet converted, I ported my primary number over to Asda Mobile in the end as its tariff looked reasonable and its website looks friendly to casual users.

I made my decision after comparing different networks using the search term 'best mobile network for infrequent users' on Google. 1p Mobile had the lowest prices but has the drawback of requiring a £10 top up at least every 120 days after the first year making traditional PAYG tariffs on other networks cheaper in the long term. The next cheapest seems to be iD Mobile but that has the drawback of a short inactivity period of only three months and it runs on Three which does not provide 2G coverage. Giffgaff looked reasonable for light users but has the drawback of online-only customer service support and international roaming in only a small number of countries.

I have decided to continue using my secondary number on Three as it is the one of the big four networks which seems to have the most reasonable tariffs for light users and it has international roaming in a large number of countries.

pjt50
Joining in

This article gives a pretty good overview of what's currently available:

https://www.simsherpa.com/sim-only-deals/pay-as-you-go/cheapest-basic-rates

Looks like we're running out of options.

inthenecker
On our wavelength

I only got to know about this PAYG nonsense when I checked my phone to see if it had enough charge in it.
The thing is, if you only carry a mobile for emergencies you don't keep it switched on. 

I had enough aggravation last year when they decided to upgrade' their network,

Why couldn't virgin email the customers involved and tell us how to get a refund or change providers?

They really don't care about their customers.

Hi inthenecker,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry for any frustration caused with this. 

We did text all the numbers that would be affected by this. 

^Martin

And that was my point, a text to a phone that is kept for emergencies and rarely switched on unless it's needed, and I still haven't found out how I'm supposed to claim a refund of my credit because I can't find a form to fill in or any information about who to get in touch with.
Thanks

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ring 789 and request a PAC code to move your number and ask for a refund of your balance 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @inthenecker,

The text message should have information on regarding this.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, if you require a refund please do call us on 789.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide