Menu
Ayrton
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Effects of VM/O2 merger

Can anyone confirm what the effect of this merger will be on the network used for virgin mobile phones? I'm good with EE where I live, who I think they currently use, I'll be good with Vodafone, I think I read somewhere VM had a deal to switch to them (don't know if that will still happen), but I've never been good with O2.

If VM switch to O2 behind the scenes I'm going to be stuck with a contract on a phone that never works. If this happened I'd expect to be able to get out of the telephony part of my VM contract and just continue to pay the balance relating to the phone itself.

Do we know what the plans are on this?

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Effects of VM/O2 merger

VM has a five year agreement with Vodafone from 2021-2026. Terminating it early would involve significant costs, so it's likely they will continue to honour the agreement with Vodafone before switching to O2 in a few years time.

Ayrton
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming that. So I'll be alright for the duration of my deal. Think carefully before renewing though 😉

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are already in the process of moving everyone over to Vodafone before the end of this year.

Going on a past big merger it could be quite some time before Virgin Customers end up on O2. As the Vodafone deal runs 5 years I guess they would have to buy out the remaining part of the contract.

We have no idea what long term plans are and they won't be revealed in a hurry.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos