Menu
Gotti
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Does virgin switching to Vodafone from EE entitle me to terminate my contract?

I find Vodafone network poor and want to go back to EE.  But I have a long virgin contract. Any ideas on how to get back to EE network?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does virgin switching to Vodafone from EE entitle me to terminate my contract?

I would guess that under your contract there's no right to terminate without penalty in these circumstances, although VM could choose to allow you to do that.  If they won't, I'm pretty confident that under UK consumer law and Ofcom fairness commitments you would have a good case to do so.

I'd recommend that you phone VM, explain the problem, and ask to leave without penalty, see what they say, because if they can agree to that then it'll be quick and the best outcome for all.  If they refuse then you have to get into the options of complaints and use of the arbitration service, which we can offer more suggestions on, but that is slow and involves more work on your part.

Phone up, ask, report back and let us know.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does virgin switching to Vodafone from EE entitle me to terminate my contract?

You say a long contract, but whatever happens now Virgin's arrangement with EE finishes the end of this year and you will have to go Vodafone. So you need to take that into consideration 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Gotto
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin support have confirmed that I will stay on the EE network and never be moved to Vodafone unless I change my call package or switch to a 5G phone (current phone just 4G). Result!
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Glad it is sorted. However, 'never' is a promise that is not theirs to give. The timescale for transitioning has been agreed between EE and Virgin and EE will simply deny access to their network from Virgin SIM cards; after that date as the they won't be getting paid 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Gotto wrote:
Virgin support have confirmed that I will stay on the EE network and never be moved to Vodafone unless I change my call package or switch to a 5G phone (current phone just 4G). Result!

As per @enlli answer - I'm glad you've got a result for now. But remember, Virgin is an MVNO which doesn't have a physical mobile network of their own, and relies on wholesale agreements with a host-network-operator.

As and when VM's agreement with EE expires, the only way of ensuring EE-service is to change to a provider who does use EE, or better still, EE themselves.

0 Kudos