Hello. I'm on Virgin Mobile but do not have home Virgin Media broadband, I'm a mobile customer only.
If I type a duff URL in, e.g. http://www.fgfgfgfgfgfgfg.com, then I get a search page with a Virgin Media logo. I don't want this, I just want an error page as it's confusing. There's a link at the top that says...
This service is optional and you can switch it off here
But if I click on this I get the following message...
Our advanced network error search helps you find the website you're looking for quickly.
We all make mistakes when we type in website addresses. Perhaps we miss a few letters, or the website doesn't exist any longer. If an address you enter doesn't locate a site, this handy feature will convert the incorrect address into a web search, so instead of an error message you will get a list of our closest matches, plus some additional related links.
You can switch off this service, but you need to be connected to the internet via your home Virgin Media broadband connection. We cannot recognise this connection right now, or there may be a problem with our system. Please connect to the internet via your home broadband connection, or try again later.
The Virgin Media Team
It seems that I'm being blocked as I'm not accessing via my home broadband service. But I don't have such a thing, I'm exclusively a mobile-only customer.
Is there an alternative way of changing this setting, without the nonsensical blocking? Thanks.
Interestingly, since I started this thread things have changed. I'm now using a laptop connected to the phone's wifi hotspot and have set it to use Google's own DNS instead of Virgin's. This alone does disable the VM hijacking thing, as it makes them unable to substitute the page for their own. I expected this.
What I didn't expect is that, when using Google's DNS, clicking that link above to switch it off now functions correctly. So I've disabled it using the computer that uses google's DNS, at which point it told me that it was already off (even though this was the first time I successfully used it).
After doing this, if I now enter an invalid URL on my phone's own browser I don't get the VM hijack page. Using an alternative DNS on an android phone isn't even possible for its own cellular service, so it has to be using VM's DNS. I haven't tested it, but I'd assume that any PC's using VM's own DNS will also now function normally too.
So it appears that my issue is resolved. I don't know whether this is because I used the alternative DNS or perhaps because VM have fixed it but, for whatever reason all is well here for now at least.