Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Delayed notifications - Whapsapp / HQ Trivia

Hi all,

Recently migrated to VM from 3 (I'm on the 2500 mins + 8GB plan). Purple sim.

I've noticed that when connected to 4G, email notifications, Whatsapp notifications and game notifications from HQ trivia are delayed.

When on wireless or connected to 4G through a VPN, the delays to NOT happen, everything comes though promptly.

I don't believe it's an issue with my phone (Redmi Note 3 Pro, official firmware and fully up to date) as when I was on 3 I never had this problem. the only thing on the phone was the set up an access point as the data wouldn't work by default. These are the connection settings I'm using:

Name: Virgin Internet

APN: goto.virginmobile.co.uk

Username: user

MMSC http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002

MMS Proxy: 193.30.166.2

MMS Port: 8080

MCC: 234

MNC: 38

Authentication type: CHAP

APN Type: *

APN Protocol IPv4

Is there anything else I need to change ? I've searched the forums already but it seems others are having the issue but no definite resolution.

Thanks in advance for any advice 🙂 Pretty frustrating problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delayed notifications - Whapsapp / HQ Trivia

Hi there toasty772, welcome to our forums.

I would have a look at some diagnostics here virg.in/phonefix

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the link, it asks me for the IMEI number which I type in, but it doesn't do anything when I select the Confim button, nothing happens. The phone model isn't in the list of handsets on the page either (it's a Redmi Note 3 Pro Global).

I've been in Spain last week, the notifications (e.g. on HQ Trivia) were NOT delayed, but they are again when on the Virgin 4G signal in the UK.

It definitely sounds like a Virgin network problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

If you are able to send me a private message with the following information we can have a look at this further for you:

• Your mobile number
  • The full name on the account
  • Confirm if you are the account holder

Thanks

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nathan, have sent you a PM, cheers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Still no resolution on this one (in case others are experiencing issues). Was sent a new SIM card to try, made no difference. Someone suggested it's a setting on my phone or within the apps, again this isn't the cause.

Still getting delayed notifications on apps ONLY when connected to 4G without VPN - if I'm on WiFi, or on 4G with a VPN running, they all come through fine. 

I'm still convinced, based on this, that VM have some type of traffic management in place for certain apps / ports / traffic types, but of course theyr'e not going to some out and say it....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@toasty772,

I believe that VM may have some restrictions for some apps as well. Whenever I'm at home on data (I never use wifi unless I had to) and making or receiving a direct call, I can't access Whatsapp, Facebook or surfing the internet. I can only do so if I hang up the call. I believe that @teabag has given a solution but I still feel that somehow or rather, VM is not transparent with us. 

Maybe you have noticed but if you are on their £25 unlimited data/unlimited calls/ unlimited texts, there is a limit to how much you can actually download although it is difficult to achieve - 1TB per month. However, it is better than some MNVOs offering 'unlimited data' downloads but actually running full speed for the first 9-12GB before throttling the speed to 64kbps or 128kbps until the plan gets refreshed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Just checked the  parental controls on my account and they're off. Have been running a VPN on my phone again the past couple of days, things come through instantly.

They say that twitter / whatsapp etc usage doesn't count towards your allowance, so they're obviously able to tell to some extent what apps are in use and differentiate between the traffic (and possibly throttle them or only poll for push notifications every few minutes for example). This would explain how on WiFi or VPN everything works as it should...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Did you ever get this sorted? I'm having the same problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Virgin never did resolve this, I migrated to Vodafone, so much better.

0 Kudos