Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Debt Recovery threats

Hi,

I've received a text to my number from Virgin but referencing somebody else's name stating that I, "need to pay my bill".

I've subsequently received a further message today saying that, my account is "due to be sent to a debt recovery agency".

My accont is paid by direct debit and is fully in order. Virgin's records appear to be wrong - hence including the wrong name in the earlier text sent to me.

Threats of debt recovery which would impact my credit score is distressing.

I have been unable to get through to the helpline (keep getting cut off after 30 mins wait), so the Twitter team suggested that I contact you here.

Can you please resolve this distressing situation (and GDPR breach) promptly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Debt Recovery threats

Bear in mind it could be a scam.  But if you believe it is VM, make sure you complain to the ICO who deal with data protection breaches.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes. Always good to be aware of potential scams, but I'm certain that it is authentic as the text message includes a link to 0800 052 2630 which appears to be a Virgin Media call centre number. Sadly I'm just put on hold and end up cut off after 30 mins or so. I suspect that scammers would answer the phone more promptly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No need to risk calling any number when 789 is guaranteed to be correct from a Virgin Mobile phone.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not a GDPR breach just likey someone gave the wrong number when signing up. you'll need to contact VM to ask them to remove the number.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into, I am sorry that you've had these text messages for another person. Lets see how we can resolve this!

I'm gonna send you a PM now to gather some info to find your account, then we'll pop back on here once we've got through data protection.

Speak soon.

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

Thanks for bearing with me whilst we went through security.

I've been able to look for any issues or outstanding aspects that should not be there and could not see anything that may cause another person's bills to be connected to your Mobile number. Due to this I am inclined to think that this is a scam text. 

Just to be doubly sure I have also checked if we have the number you quoted above as one of our phone lines and cannot find it. 

I also searched it on google and it confirmed this is a scammer's number where they mention debt collectors. In this instance they did a really shoddy job as they didn't even get your name right lol If you want to see evidence of what I have found just click here

I hope this clears things up for you. 

Megan_L

0 Kudos