Menu
kerosssin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Deactivation text + can't call Cust Care

Hi there,

I hope you can help me!

I've received a text saying: "Hello, as we haven’t noticed any recent activity on this SIM, we’ll be barring services in 42 days. Need help? Just call 789"

However, I can't call 789, as I get: "Sorry, the number you have called is not available".

I'm currently abroad, so I've also tried calling: 0345600789, and I get a "busy" tone.

I'm no longer on a pay monthly and I don't use this phone very often, but I need to keep this number alive!

Could someone please let me know what I need to do to prevent the service from getting barred?

Thank you!

Mickey

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deactivation text + can't call Cust Care

Hello

As per the terms and conditions there has to be a chargeable call / text made every 90 days on a PAYG SIM to keep it active.

Does the email mention that you need a new SIM if so then VM will have to send one to a UK address and for somebody to place SIM in phone to activate it and then forward it onwards to you, beaware that you current SIM will be deactivated once the new one is activated.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
kerosssin
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

It was a text message and it stated that as long as I call 789 the service won't be barred. However, as mentioned, I get an automated message and can't get through...

My partner also has a PAYG Sim and only uses it to receive calls and hasn't topped it up in 3 years and still works fine. Yet, she has received a message for a new sim, which was received and activated without any issues.

So, it looks like I don't need to make a chargeable transaction in order to keep the service.

I have just received a call on my number and I wonder if that would be enough to keep the service active? Will I get another message if that is the case?

If that won't resolve it, any idea how I can go past the auto message on the 789 number? Is there an issue with the line or is it just me?

Cheers,

Mickey

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The reason the 789 doesnt work is that you are not in the UK so are not connected to the UK Virginmedia network.

All Virginmedia PAYG SIMs require an outgoing call / text to remain active every 90 days.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Simple answer, to be on the safe side, is to send a text to your partner. That fulfills the terms and conditions. 

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @kerosssin 

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see you have received this message. 

Can I just ask if you know when you last made a call lasting longer than 1 minute or sent a text message? 

Thank you.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
kerosssin
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ash,

Thank you for your reply.

Honestly I can't remember... I travel a lot and use another number as my main. However, this number is linked to my bank, HMRC and all other important institutions, so I need to keep it alive.

I've received a call yesterday, but not sure if it lasted more than a minute. Is that what I need to do?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No problem and thank you for letting me know. I'm going to send you a PM so I can check the account and see if it is flagged at all for deactivation. 

In the meantime if you can make a call over a minute or send a quick text, this is keep the phone active. 

Thank you.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos