Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Data usage

My wife’s data is being burned up at an incredible rate, contacted customer service on 789 and web chat, both said that even if she connected to WiFi her monthly mobile data allowance is used, absolutely astonished  at that statement. 
Her previous monthly data allowance was 3Gb and that was sufficient to last the month, however the problem arose when she updated to 6Gb this month, she burned up 4Gb in less than two weeks even though she was connected to WiFi the majority of the time. Checked her phone all apps where WiFi only in the background, so at a loss as to the data usage. Customer services absolutely hopeless, kept insisting that monthly data allowance is used when connected to WiFi. Losing the will to live. Sorry for the long post 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Data usage

Hello

Which phone does she have as some device will allow you to use wifi in connection with cellaur data to get the best download speed.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IPhone 6

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

You can check what is using the data :-

View how much data you're using

To see how much cellular data that you've used, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data instead.

Scroll down to find which apps are using cellular data. If you don't want an app to use cellular data, you can turn it off for that app. When cellular data is off, apps will only use Wi-Fi for data.

To see the cellular data usage for individual System Services, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap System Services. Cellular data can't be turned on or off for individual System Services.

You can view the data usage statistics for an app from a current period, or view app data statistics for apps that use data when you were roaming. To reset these statistics, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics.

When you are connected to wifi that doesn't use any part of your allowance.

Turn Wi-Fi Assist on or off

Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. If you don't want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Just joined
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have the same query - I don't understand why my data allowance is used up when I'm on wi-fi (see original post)

What's the point in having wi-fi at all if you're still using your mobile data allowance?

(and sorry but I didn't understand the last reply either, I didn't understand what the goal was in doing what was described)

Cheers for any help

P

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wilgossp,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. If you are on WiFi then you shouldn't be using mobile data. What phone are you using and is it an iPhone? If so, do you have WiFi assist active on the handset? If so, this would use mobile data as if the WiFi strength goes below a certain level, then the mobile data would kick in to stop you losing connection.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John_GS, it's off but was just concerned by the original posters message saying that Virgin support were saying that data allowance is used when on wi-fi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Wilgossp

It sounds like our agents may not have explained the situation as well as our Community and @John_GS have explained here. 

The data will only be used if WiFi assist is on and if the WiFi strength is too low - to avoid this, customers can turn WiFi assist off 🙂 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Katie,

Do you work for Virgin? I have had this problem as well. My phone has used all my data in about 3 days. I spoke to "customer services" and they have told me that this is perfectly normal and acceptable and that if I want more data I have to upgrade to a bigger plan. My phone was using mobile data every hour of every day when I have looked back at my bills.

I say this is a problem with the wifi dropping out but they insist that there's nothing wrong with it. I have had an engineer out today who said there was a problem in the cabinet and that he has fixed it but that doesn't get my data back that shouldn't have been used and now I have to wait till the end of the month till it resets.. 

0 Kudos