cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming not working

Fordybee
On our wavelength

I am in Greece and data roaming is not working, neither are calls or texts.  I had read the webpage explaining how to make sure it’s all set up and did so before leaving the UK.  I’ve got an iPhone XR. How can I get this fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI Fordybee, thanks for the message, and welcome back to the forums. 

You need to do this before leaving as when it is connected to a network overseas some network changes do not always work. Can you confirm if the data roaming is switched on within the device settings? 

Chris 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI Fordybee, thanks for the message, and welcome back to the forums. 

You need to do this before leaving as when it is connected to a network overseas some network changes do not always work. Can you confirm if the data roaming is switched on within the device settings? 

Chris 

Fordybee
On our wavelength

Hi Chris yes I made sure it was turned on before I left, and international call barring off too

Hi Fordybee, thanks for the message. 

I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further. 

Please look out for the purple envelope.

Chris. 

Fordybee
On our wavelength

Can anyone else help with this pls?  

Chris and I were private messaging but I haven’t heard from him for the past hour.  Getting quite irritated that this is quite so difficult - my teenage daughter tried to call me earlier and couldn’t because my phone isn’t working.  I’m using hotel WiFi but can’t send a text to the helpline.

Hi Fordybee,

I've copied a reply from a previous post about a similar problem, hope it helps.

For an iPhone, please can you do the following: Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. If you’re using a newer iOS, then you it will be under Mobile Data instead of phone. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you. 
It might be worth trying to do a manual network search to see if you can connect to any others and see if that helps. It could be that the network you're connected too maybe doesn't have the best signal where you are.

You also have to set the mode back to National when back in the UK.

Regards,

Dave

Dave thank you!  This worked!  Why on earth a) I have to do this and b) this information isn’t easily available in the data roaming PDF sheet from Virgin is beyond me but thank you you’re a star! 

Hi Fordybee,

Good to see that it worked. My wife and I have had various problems since moving to Virgin Mobile in July, mostly when roaming . Unable to hear on incoming calls and reformatting contact numbers are other things to beware of. I keep looking on the Forum to see if there have been any updates on the problems but just see the same complaints over and over again. Virgin use a proxy company in Belgium to provide roaming even though they are collaborating with O2, this seems to be the root cause of the problems .

Thanks so much - I used to travel loads with work, always with an iPhone, when I was on O2 and then GiffGaff I have never had these problems!  I know when I first changed to Virgin the contact numbers all reformatted.  Sorely tempted to move back to another provider (except this Sim is included as part of our broadband etc package…).  Anyway thanks for the help, wouldn’t have known this without you!

My data roamings not working but cant get through to anyone! 

Samsung S10E need it asap iam in hospital & need to contact family.