cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Only Works Intermittently

yakuzakitty
On our wavelength

I’m having problems with my Virgin Mobile data in my home. According to the service map I should have good 4G signal indoors, if not 5G. I always have a connection, but often nothing will load unless I turn airplane mode off and on - it will then work for a few minutes before the same thing happens again.

Our household is also on Virgin and we have problems with our Wi-Fi signal too, so using that also isn’t a solution (not to mention that we are currently without broadband for up to 5 days due to a local service issue). 

14 REPLIES 14

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi yakuzakitty, 

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with intermittent data service. Can you try the below and let me know the results:

• As well as having intermittent data, are you unable to make calls and send texts either? 
  • Do you find this is the issue at home as well as when out and about or is this only happening in one area?
  • Are you able to test your SIM card in another device? If so do you get the same results?
  • Can you also try another SIM in your device to see what happens?
  • Finally, is there anyone else in your household experiencing the same issues? 

With regards to your WiFi connection, there are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones
  • Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here.

Finally, you can view more about our new WiFi Max service here

Pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin's mobile service is provided by O2.

Do you have similar issues in other locations? Do other O2 users (or Tesco Mobile, Sky Mobile etc - these also use O2) have similar problems in your home?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Kath,

• I also have intermittent problems sending texts and making calls
  • It is most noticeable at home, though I have noticed it elsewhere. This is despite the coverage map indicating I should have good 4G service indoors and outdoors
  • I don’t have another device to test my SIM card in 
  • Nobody else in my house is on O2/Virgin Mobile 

I’d be grateful for any help you can give me.

Thanks.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @yakuzakitty

Thanks for your response

Does your phone display that you have full signal? How many bars of signal are you receiving when at home?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi japitts,

I have noticed the problem in other locations but it is most noticable at home, despite the coverage checker telling me I should have good indoor and outdoor 4G signal.

Nobody else in my household uses O2 or Virgin Mobile.

My phone frequently says I have 4 full bars of 5G but nothing loads. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With O2 it is possible to have good signal but poor data connection  This is mainly due to lack of bandwidth often  combined with over utilisation.

The fix is long term

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In fairness enlli, it's possible with all the UK operators - but I agree that it's particularly prevalent on O2 at the moment.

@yakuzakitty- to explain, the signal bars on your phone are an indicator of the quality of the received signal, in simple terms how good it is. The speed of mobile data depends on the amount of spectrum, or capacity, that is "hiding" behind that signal.

You could easily have a very strong signal with very little capacity, just as much as a weak signal could be carrying lots of spectrum. Unfortunately for many users, O2 do currently have an increasing number of locations where there is insufficient capacity available for the amount of usage.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/01/rootmetrics-benchmark-the-top-uk-mobile-networks-for-h... reinforces this.

I see, thank you for explaining the situation to me. 
Other than just changing networks, is there anything I can do to resolve this? I’m currently isolating with COVID and (as you’ll see from my original post) I basically get no Wi-Fi unless I’m sitting on the router either, so the inconsistent data issue is really an issue for me right now…