Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Credit Score

Hi,

I've just noticed that my credit score was affected by Virgin Mobile.

When I signed my contract, the guy in the store said it was a soft search and wouldn't go on my credit file.  It turns out to have been a hard search.  Obviously this is lying to a customer.  Who do I contact?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Credit Score

well you are taking out a contract. Its going to be a hard search.

So you have any proof that what you were told. Problem is there it will be your word against "someones" adn hard ro proof anything. Not sure what they would be able to do not the search has been done.

For future. No credit agreement can be checked with a soft search

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Thanks for your message.

The person that went through the contract with me had wrote it down as a soft search on the paperwork for the phone.

That guy has since left as I haven't seen him since last year.

If you don't have a genuine answer, then I suggest that you don't answer.  I want someone to answer that knows who to contact in Virgin.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can't take out a credit agreement with soft credit search only. The two are incompatible.

A soft search is purely to check eligibility for a product. If you then apply for it, you will always get a hard search result recorded, that's how a credit check and score work. A sales agent cannot override that by writing on a contract.

These are the terms you agree to when you take out a Virgin Mobile Pay Monthly contract:
https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/PAYM-AND-PAYM-SIMO-...

11.6 Credit checks:
We or the retailer you purchase your SIM from may carry out credit checks where necessary to help us or the retailer confirm your identity and decide whether to accept your application. The credit check will include looking at our own and the retailers information (if you apply through a retailer that is not Virgin Mobile), the details you have given us, and registering and checking your information with credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies who will also check the details of anyone you are financially associated with – for example, people you may have a joint bank account with. You agree that we or the retailer may conduct these checks and also register information about you and the conduct of our account with any credit reference agency who will also record our search on their records. For the same reasons we may also perform subsequent credit checks whilst you retain a financial obligation with us. For the purpose of fraud prevention, prevention of money laundering, debt collection, credit management and emergency services  purposes, information about you and the conduct of your account may be disclosed to credit reference agencies, debt collection agencies, fraud prevention agencies, security agencies, financial institutions, law enforcement agencies, emergency services organisations or other phone companies for example, when: checking details on applications and credit related or other facilities; managing credit and credit-related accounts and facilities; recovering debt; checking details of proposals and claims for all types of insurance; checking details of job applications and employees. Please write to Virgin Media’s Group Compliance Officer at Media House, Bartley Wood Business Park, RG27 9UP if you want to receive details of the relevant fraud prevention agencies. You have a legal right to these details.

The current registered office for Virgin Media is now here:

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/registered-office.html

500 Brook Drive,
Reading,
RG2 6UU

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own