Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Covid-19 Gov Text Message

So the country is in Lock down and serious enough to send a Nationwide message via all Networks to inform people what to do. This is not a new system, it has been around for decades  in other media formats and is there for are information.

Believe it is the first time it has been used in 'Peace Time'.

So why Virgin have I not had it?  This is unacceptable you have failed me, I will cancel my contract and go where I am valued. This isn't about money this is about people the ones who pay your salaries.

O2 managed to send theirs and I received it twice!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Covid-19 Gov Text Message

I got it twice from Virgin
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My wife who is with Virgin Mobile got it before me. I am with O2 and it didn't arrive till late in the day. For heavens sake stop thinking it is all about you, and what you are going to do to express your annoyance. It isn't and the text message system was serious exception which required close Government and industry cooperation. It's not surprising it didn't work for everyone given the volume that was being sent, albeit staggered over the day. Other countries, like South Korea have had a long-standing system that give the Government the right to send messages without the cooperation of the mobile phone industry.  And you , of course, you want a system like China in which the Government can monitor your mobile usage and location. Don't you?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The networks have to send these in batches.

The emergency system where the Government sends the message to all phones was trialled 7 years ago and abandoned. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"I'm going to cancel my contract over a text message I am fully aware about"

OK...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm also with Virgin Mobile and never received the text message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@nbaker wrote:

I'm also with Virgin Mobile and never received the text message.

will you be cancelling your contract too?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos